07. Juni 2023, 10:30 bis 11:30
Current Trends in Research Assessment: Understanding Indicators and their Limitations (EN)
Traditional metrics are mainly citation-based; they relate to individual authors (e.g., the H-Index) or to journals (e.g., the Impact Factor). Recently, field-normalized indicators have emerged to assess article-level citation impacts as well. In general, however, there is a growing scepticism against the metrification of research outputs. Prominent manifestos call to recognize the rich diversity of academic activities by evaluating research not (only) based on quantitative indicators, but primarily on the basis of qualitative peer-review procedures.
Some questions that will be discussed are:
- What are “bibliometric” indicators? How are they used, what are their limitations?
- What data sources do bibliometric indicators draw from?
- What is the concept behind “alternative metrics” (altmetrics)?
- How do funders like the FWF assess my grant applications?
- How might research assessment change in the coming years and decades?
DD 05 B04 (Vortragsraum 5. Stock, TU Wien Bibliothek)
TU Wien Bibliothek