Atominstitut: brief survey
The Atominstitut (ATI) was established in 1958 as an inter-university institute, and in 1962 opened at its current location on the Prater with the commissioning of the TRIGA Mark II research reactor. As part of the reform of the university system, the Atominstitut was integrated 2002 into the Faculty of Physics at the TU Wien and is now dedicated to today's broad range of research and education ranging from very fundamental questions about symmetries and interactions in nuclear and particle physics to neutron-, atomic-, quantum-physics and quantum optics to radiation- and reactor physics to applied tasks such as environmental monitoring, radiation protection or for example the radiation resistance of modern materials.
A central facility thereby is the TRIGA Mark II research reactor and the connected teaching and research infrastructure, which allow us to educate and work with radioactive materials and ionizing radiation. An important contribution thereby is the training of international experts for the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).
Currently, the Atominstitut has a scientific staff of 32 as well as 29 technical staff. In addition, third-party-funded project assistants (currently 75) have been increasing in number over recent years, which is important to be able to fulfill the research and training activities of the institute. In addition the Atominstitut has about 70 students working on their bachelor, master or doctoral thesis.
The educational opportunities offered by the institute cover all areas of research and are fully integrated into the curriculum of the Faculty of Physics.
Image brochure TU Wien Atomic Institute