Sensor and Actuator Technology
The diverse spectrum of our research and teaching includes
- the modelling
- numerical simulation and optimisation of complex mechatronic systems (finite elements for multiphysics)
- sound design and noise reduction (vibro- and aeroacoustics), measurement technology (sound and vibration) and
- material parameter identification (structural mechanics, acoustics and electromagnetics).
Our Research Focus Areas
Modeling and Simulation
The basis for the analysis and design of complex mechatronic systems is a simulation tool capable of precisely computing the interaction of the different physical fields (structural mechanics, acoustics, electromagnetics, heat transfer).Therefore, it is able to perform virtual prototyping. Since many years, we have developed and further improved the open source software openCFS, opens an external URL in a new window (Coupled Field Simulation), which solves the describing partial differential equations including their couplings based on the Finite Element (FE) method. Due to advanced material models, nonconforming grid techniques, higher order finite elements, and highly efficient coupling strategies, performance and capability of openCFS are far beyond commercial tools. In addition, the tool automatically performs shape and topology optimisation using an advanced version of the SIMP (Solid Isotropic Material with Penalisation) method.
The Research Unit is well equipped with high-end measurement devices in the field of sound and vibration analysis:
- Acoustic microphone and acoustic camera
- Laser speckle interferometer (ESPI)
- Digital image correlation (DIC)
- Laser scanning vibrometer PSV-500
- 3D-particle velocity sound probes, magnetic field and coordinate measurement system, etc.
Furthermore, we have an electronic lab for the design and fabrication of electronic circuits and a high-end machinery shop for the fabrication of prototypes.
Selected Research Projects
ModSimMEMS (Micro-Electro-Mechanical-Systems) loudspeaker array
Identification of noise sources in the automotive industry by correlated beamforming
Aeroacoustic and model order reduction of vehicles