Information for mentors
The mentoring program of the Vice Rectorate for Academic Affairs is intended to help students get started in their studies at the TU and to support students who are having difficulties or who are re-entering their studies.
The program is designed as a peer program. Students of higher semesters with relevant study experience (mentors) support younger students (mentees), who benefit from the knowledge of experienced TU students and have a first contact person.
The Vice Rectorate for Academic Affairs welcomes applications from students who would like to become mentors. Students from all fields of study can apply to become a mentor, although we focus especially on students who have completed at least 30 ECTS credits.
Application deadline for mentors: Applications are accepted until July 30 via link, opens an external URL in a new window, early application recommended.
Please upload the following application documents
- curriculum vitae
- Letter of motivation
- Collective testimonial (required for the proof of the ECTS progress; grade point average is not relevant for the application)
Interview: Personal interviews will be held by appointment.
As a mentor, you benefit from the mentoring program and
- strengthen your leadership and consulting skills
- get involved socially and therefore have a plus for your curriculum vitae
- receive a personal certificate from the Vice Rectorate for Studies and Teaching
- you will receive a certificate with 3 ECTS in the area of transferable skills / social competence (the dean of studies decides on the creditability in the study program as subject "social competence").
We expect from the mentors:
- Motivation and initiative
- Interest in making it easier for younger students to start their studies
- Willingness to meet regularly with the mentoring groups and the program management.
The commitment in the mentoring program is intended for the duration of one to a maximum of two semesters.
A total of 7 meetings with the mentoring group are scheduled in one semester.
Fixed dates of the program for mentors are:
- Training session with the program management (on September 25, 2023 from 09:00-12:00): Explanation of the requirements, objectives, process of the mentoring program & handover of the "starter package", personal meeting of all mentors with each other.
- Workshop on group leadership and group dynamics (conducted by external trainer; on September 25, 2023 from 13:00-17:00 and September 26, 2023 from 09:00-13:00)
- Workshop on sensitization (conducted by external trainer; on October 06, 2023 from 09:30-13:30).
- Kick-off meeting with all mentees and division into mentoring groups on September 28, 2023 from 17:30-19:30.
- 7 group meetings with your own mentoring group during the semester (independent preparation and holding of the in-group meetings, every 2-3 weeks during the semester).
- One group event in the middle of the semester, probably in Novemeber (to be organized by the mentors).
- 4 jour fixe meetings with the mentoring program management (approx. 1-2 hours) and another 2 jour fixe meetings with the other mentors during the semester.
- An event at the end of the semester for all groups
We are planning to expand our established mentoring program especially for Ukrainian students starting in the winter semester 2022/23 in order to help them settle in quickly at the TU and to provide them with the best possible support in their everyday studies. We are looking for students who would like to support Ukrainian students as mentors. We look forward to receiving your application via link, opens an external URL in a new window by July 16, 2023.