Support Logo

Support for students and scientists from Ukraine

For ukrainian students

Prerequisite for studying at the TU Wien.

Required documents 

The basic requirement is a German language skill at the level A2 GER. The application for admission to the course can only be made if the proof of German proficiency is provided. All types of certificates and evidence are accepted. 
In order to be able to complete the admission, you need language skills at level C1 (proof, opens in new window). 
If you do not reach the German language skills at level C1 by the end of the admissions process, you will be admitted to preparatory studies at the Vienna universities. There you will have the possibility to attend relevant German courses and complete the supplementary German exam. After that you can start your studies.

Next to your proofment of the German language, we need your school certificate/your degree or proof of the exams you passed during your studies in Ukraine (with a translation into German/English by a court-sworn translator). A list of translators can be found on the website of the Austrian Ministry of Justice, opens an external URL in a new window. A certification of the documents (apostille) is not required. 

To verify your identity, we also need an official identification document from you, e.g. passport.

Please note that the processing time can take up to several weeks due to the high number of applications! Therefore, submit the application as early as possible in order not to miss any deadlines! Please inform yourself about the admission deadlines.

Futher informations on the admission procedure with international qualifications can be found here, opens in new window.

Admission procedure in the Bachelor's Programme

Starting from winter semester 2019/2020, there will be either admission or selection procedures (limited places) or a study preparation and reflection phase (VoR-phase) for self-orientation (non-limiting) for all Bachelor's Programme at TU Wien.

Information on the admission procedures and the VoR phase can be found in the description of the study program.

What can I do as a non-degree student at the TU Wien?

You have the opportunity to attend individual (english) courses at the TU Wien without being enrolled in a bachelor's, master's or doctoral program. To do so, you have to apply for non-degree studies (attending individual scientific courses or subjects, without finishing a complete study at the TU Wien). A separate application is not required for this. All you have to do is complete the online study application. In addition, we require official proof of identity, such as your passport.

Due to legal requirements in Austria, the courses completed as part of the non-degree program cannot be recognized for a bachelor's, master's or doctoral degree.

If you have not yet met all the requirements to start studying at the TU Wien, we recommend you to contact the OeAD. There you will find regularly updated informations, that will help you to start your university education. Among other things, you will find German courses, if you are new to the german language. Follow the link below for more information. 

Information about Ukraine | OeAD, Austria's Agency for Education and Internationalisation, opens an external URL in a new window


The TU Wien opens its premises and infrastructure to students from Ukraine, to be used as a place to study.

Free networkconnection (eduroam) is available. 

room TUlearn

[Translate to English:] Lernplatz Logo

Check out, 48 hours in advance, which study rooms or lecture halls at the TU Wien are available.


[Translate to English:] Bibliotheks Logo

Find a seat to study in one of our libraries. PC- Working desks are also availble.

Contact points for students/scientists from Ukraine


[Translate to English:] Oead Logo

Agency for Education and Internationalisation


[Translate to English:] HTU Logo

Scholarships and donations for students.


[Translate to English:] Haus Logo

The Federal Agency for care and support services (BBU) mediates under the phone number. +43 1 2676 870 9460 Accommodations throughout Austria.

Counseling center for migrants in Vienna

[Translate to English:] Beratungsstellen Logo

For women:, opens an external URL in a new window

Questions related to residence law can be advised here (e.g. changing residence permits, getting the residence status, or the red-white-red card). Depending on the case, the change of your residence status might be useful. We recommend you to make an appointment.

Can you offer a shelter or are you looking for one? If so, please contact Stefanie Madsen


[Translate to English:] Science logo

Information platform #ScienceForUkraine for scientists

Futher contacts:

Learn German in Vienna

  • The Austrian Integration Fund (ÖIF) offers free language courses. If you would like to attend a German course in Vienna, visit the integration center of the Austrian Integration Fund, Landstraßer Hauptstraße 26, 1030 Vienna for a consultation.
  • The "German Conversation" series is an offer from the main library: the aim is to be able to handle simple conversations in the german language. In addition to discussions, this appointment offers help with filling out forms, advice on everyday topics and finding your way in the new environment. From March 31, these events will take place every Thursday at 11 a.m. Registration is required at the “College 1 information desk” on site or at


Additional Information can be found here:

Free Europe full scholarships for Ukrainian war refugees in Austria at the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education

75 years after the end of the Second World War, we are witnessing a brutal war of aggression by Russia in Europe. The whole Western world is standing behind Ukraine to defend our values of democracy, the rule of law, and freedom in Ukraine by all means. Freedom of information and thought, the transparent process of continuous development of knowledge based on facts and empiric evidence are core virtues of universities, but have even more significance in these times.


In that spirit, the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education admires and supports the struggle for freedom in Eastern Europe, following the maxim of Nelson Mandela: "Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world". Education is one of the most important & sustainable investments we can make, on an individual, as well as on a collective level and an essential component in creating and maintaining peace. Countless people have had to flee, give up the life they built for themselves and start anew in a foreign land. This dramatic change and the drastic psychological stress are unimaginable for many of us. The TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education wants to help refugees, so they can find a way back to a feeling of normality.


For the continuing education branch of the TU Wien, education is not only the best weapon against autocracy and censorship, but also the optimal opportunity to build a new existence far from home. People need a purpose and a network. Therefore, the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education awards a full scholarship to Ukrainian citizens with valid refugee status in the winter semester 2022/2023 in the following postgraduate courses:

  • Renewable Energy Systems (MSc) in English.
  • Environmental Technology & International Affairs (MSc) in English language
  • Sustainable Construction (MEng) in German language
  • Innovation, Digitalization & Entrepreneurship (EMBA) in English language
  • Strategic Management & Technology (EMBA) in English language
  • General Management (EMBA) in German language
  • Real Estate Management & Valuation (MSc) in German language
  • Real Estate Management & Property Management (certificate course) in German language


With these full scholarships, the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education would like to give people affected by this horrendous war a tool to build a new life in Austria. It is meant to be a first step towards normalcy and to give focus and support in an uncertain world. The students have the chance to become part of the TU Wien community, find a good job faster and thus get back to their "normal" everyday life.  


Application Requirements:

Eligible for a full scholarship* for a Master/EMBA course at the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education are

  • Ukrainian citizens who are in possession of an Austrian ID card for displaced persons (= blue card) and meet the admission requirements of the respective program.
  • Applicants must have completed a degree suitable for the course or a comparable academic achievement.
  • Fluency in English or German (depends on the language of the course) is required.
  • The applicant must meet the social and content-related requirements of the program and also provide evidence of sufficient relevant professional experience in the field of the chosen program.


In addition to the basic requirements, applicants are asked to send a letter of motivation of 2 pages (max. 5000 characters incl. spaces) to the team responsible for the program, to fill in the application form and to provide the required proof of eligibility.
In the letter of application, previous successes should be mentioned and the positive effect that the study program would have on personal life as well as professional development should be presented. Information on the specific requirements as well as the necessary documents can be found directly on the program pages (, opens an external URL in a new window).


*With the Free Europe full scholarship, the entire cost of the course is covered. However, the costs for accommodation, travel or travel expenses as well as costs for additional events have to be paid privately. Please contact the respective program team directly regarding the costs or possible travel allowances. For further assistance, you will also find a checklist on the homepage which you can use to check your suitability for the scholarship.


The application deadline is 31.7.2022. There is no right to appeal; existing program participants are excluded from applying; the winner will be informed in the course of the admission procedure.


Scholarship programme Ernst Mach – Ukraine

The special scholarship programme Ernst Mach – Ukraine helps Ukrainian students to continue their studies in Austria. The scholarship is open to Ukrainian students who are already enrolled in a regular study programme at an Austrian higher education institution as well as students, scientists and researchers from Ukraine who wish to continue their studies or projects here. Our programmes from A to Z | OeAD, Austria's Agency for Education and Internationalisation, opens an external URL in a new window

In addition you can apply for the ÖH emergancy aid, opens an external URL in a new window. As many students from Ukraine are currently unable to access their bank accounts and are facing enormous losses of income, the Austrian Student’s Union (ÖH) offers financial aid up to 1000 € per person to students who are affected by the war. Any person who has Ukrainian or Russian citizenship or who can prove to date that they have been financially supported by relatives from the two countries can apply for funding.


Full scholarship by Enery

To support people affected from the war in Ukraine our partner Enery Development, an internationally operations-led renewable power infrastructure company, offers one full scholarships for the MSc Renewable Energy Systems

During their studies participations of this program will be trained to become experts in planning and evaluating international projects in the field of alternative energy systems such as solar, wind or geothermal projects. They will also be provided with in‐depth knowledge and expertise on legal, technical and economic aspects of sustainable energy production on regular field trips and excursions.

We are looking for Mentors for Ukrainian students

We are planning to expand our proven Mentoring Program from the winter semester 2022/23 especially for Ukrainian students in order to help them get used to the TU quickly and to provide them with the best possible support in their everyday studies. We are now looking for students who would like to support Ukrainian students as mentors. We look forward to receiving your application to by July 17, 2022.

Raise a Roof make a donation for Student Housing in Ukraine!

Follow link to donate , opens an external URL in a new window

In Ukraine, thousands of students are currently fleeing to the west of the country. With each passing day, the chances of finding affordable housing are worsening. We want to help the students in Ukraine by collecting donations for the UAS (Ukrainian Association of Students), which will be used for new and improved housing in Ukraine.


Recognition of the qualifications brought along

The nationwide contact points for people with qualifications acquired abroad (AST contact points, opens an external URL in a new window) advise everyone who has a qualification from abroad. Fixed counseling locations are listed at, opens an external URL in a new window, opens an external URL in a new window, but additional counseling locations are offered depending on the federal state. For all Ukrainians who want to discuss professional recognition, the counseling service is still possible. However, AST funding for the translation costs is only possible after receipt of the expellee ID card.

Since the AST deals with professional recognition, the clarification of university recognition (recognition of Matura for the purpose of studying, recognition of a study achievement for the purpose of further studies) must be clarified directly at the universities.

In the context of recognition and flight (topic: missing documents), the following must be observed in particular:

Various residence permits for researchers and students

  • Residence Permit Researcher
  • Researcher Mobility
  • Researcher Mobility Program
  • Researcher job search and family community (with researcher mobility)

All current types of stay can be found at, opens an external URL in a new window opens an external URL in a new window.

The oead database entry and residence provides information about possible residence titles:, opens an external URL in a new window 



український переклад

[Translate to English:] Ukrainische Flagge

Натисніть тут, щоб побачити український сайт, opens in new window.


Find your Buddy!

[Translate to English:] Buddy Programm Logo

The Buddy-Program , opens an external URL in a new windowsupports young displaced people arriving in austria. The idea is to bring committed people from Austria together with those who were affected by war and might be overwhelmed by the new City, in a buddy partnership.

Aid measures for students and scientists from war zones

"It is important that we act quickly and unbureaucratically now," explains Rector Sabine Seidler. The implementation at TU Wien therefore looks like this: 1) No tuition fees for Ukrainian students. 2) Simplified leave of absence. 3) Admission of visiting scholars with scholarships in research areas represented at the TUW 4) Creation of "scholarships" for up to 10 visiting scientists until June 30, 2022 TUW Academy, opens in new window provides places for Ukrainian refugees in its continuing education programs.

We are looking for Mentors for Ukrainian students

We are planning to expand our proven Mentoring Program from the winter semester 2022/23 especially for Ukrainian students in order to help them get used to the TU quickly and to provide them with the best possible support in their everyday studies. We are now looking for students who would like to support Ukrainian students as mentors. We look forward to receiving your application to by July 30, 2022.


Ukrainian flag
[Translate to English:] Mentoring Logo