Step 1: Application
In case of a degree from a foreign post-secondary educational institution (university, university of applied sciences, etc.), a written application for admission, opens a file in a new window must always be submitted with post mail. The prerequisite for admission to a Master's programme with international previous education is the existence of an equivalent Bachelor's or Diploma programme. The completed education will therefore be checked by the responsible Dean of Studies for its equivalence with the corresponding education at TU Wien before admission.
After completing an at least three years degree programme (180 ECTS), you can apply for admission to a Master's Programme. The admission is only possible if you have completed a programme in the same field or a closely related scientific discipline.
Whether or not your degree is equivalent or closely related can only be evaluated after your application.
You are required to send in the application for admission by post mail (no email, no fax) and have to submit the following documents:
- duly signed application form
- supply a valid email-address
- document of completion of Bachelor/diploma degree (original or officially legalised copy with official translation)
- diploma supplement, transcript of records, index with ECTS and contact hours (original or officially legalised copy with official translation)
- proof of Proficiency of German: Competence in German Level A2 and/or Level C1 (original or officially legalised copy) except English language master programmes
- proof of Proficiency of English: Competence in English Level B2 (original or officially legalised copy) for the English language master programmes
- passport copy
- Master's Programme Architecture: additional a Portfolio (documentation of the last three Projects in an A4 Format). This Portfolio has to contain 3-5 pages per Project. Please note: Portfolios in other formats than A4 won't be returned by post mail.
- Master's Programmes Mechanical Engineering and Mechanical Engineering - Management: additional an official description of the attended courses (Syllabus) and an explanation of the grading system.
- Master's Programme Biomedical Engineering: additional, indication of the desired focus within the Master's programme Biomedical Engineering (defined in curriculum).
Documents issued in countries other than Austria are subject to notarisation regulations. All documents whose originals were not drafted in German or English shall be officially translated. Please have documents translated only after notarisation. The official translation must be inseparably attached to the original document!
Please note that for administrative reasons a maximum of 2 applications for admission per person are allowed!
NOTE! Without exception, the application for admission to the Master's programme may only be submitted once the Bachelor's (Diploma)programme has been completed! This means when
- you have completed all the ECTS credits prescribed in your degree programme and
- you are no longer entitled to take examinations in the Bachelor's (Diploma) programme.
This is the case if you have already received a Bachelor's (Diploma) degree certificate or are only waiting for the Bachelor's (Diploma) degree certificate to be issued. In the latter case, a confirmation of graduation from your university (or university of applied sciences) and the transcript of grades/diploma supplement will also be accepted for the application.
Personal enrolment with an admission letter of TU Wien for a Master's degree programme is possible for EU citizens until 31.10. for the winter semester and until 31.3. for the summer semester.
In order to obtain admission for the semester applied for, it is recommended to submit the application as soon as possible, together with all the necessary documents (in particular the Bachelor's degree/diploma certificate or confirmation of graduation from the university). Therefore, please send the documents in good time! Due to the enormous number of applications, processing may take 10-12 weeks. Please understand that the Admissions Office cannot provide any information (neither by phone nor by email) about the processing status of your application before this processing time has expired.
We also recommend that applications for admission for the winter semester be submitted to the Admissions Office by the end of July/beginning of August and for the summer semester by the end of January (summer semester), together with all necessary documents. For applications received at the end of August or in September or January, admission for the semester applied for can no longer be guaranteed. In this case, the application will be considered for admission in the following semester.
Third-country nationals (Non-EU/EEA-citizen)
You are subject to the special admission deadline. Your applications must be submitted in full
- for the winter semester by 15 July
- for the summer semester by 15 January
If missing documents or certifications are only submitted after this period, the application can only be evaluated for the following semester.
Therefore, please send the documents in a timely manner! Processing can take 10-12 weeks, as the applications have to be sent to the responsible Dean of Studies of the TU Wien for the examination of equivalence with a Bachelor's degree programme in the subject in question.
Please understand that before this processing time has expired, the Admission Office cannot provide any information (neither by phone nor by email) about the processing status of your application.