Objectives for the digital transformation at TU Wien
The .digital office coordinates the implementation process of the digitalization strategy and is responsible for facilitating and designing implementation measures and specific digitalization projects. In doing so, the .digital office supports the institutes and departments in the implementation of these projects and ensures the interconnecting of existing digital competences at TU Wien in order to avoid redundancies and to ensure cost efficiency.
- Expediting and supporting research projects and networking activities in the area of Big Data, Artificial Intelligence, Cybersecurity and Data Science as a contribution to solving societal and economic challenges.
- "Enabling" research through continuous development of flexible, powerful, transparent digital "project life cycle" processes for RTI support and their integration into the research information systems.
- Commitment to the FAIR data principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable) and implementation of digital strategies along the open access and research data management policies.
- By optimizing the opportunities offered by digitalization in the field of teaching, TU Wien will increase diversification, networking and flexibility. The focus is on access to courses anytime and anywhere, better use of existing teaching and studying resources, as well as teaching guided by research and oriented on interconnectedness.
- The skills and competencies demanded by digital transformation are projected and continuously advanced in all study programs, with an option of expansion within those study programs, if necessary. Students are equipped with an extensive expertise in the field of digitalization, independent of their respective field of study.
- By building digital laboratories, TU Wien creates spaces in which digital methods, processes and applications can be explored and validated with regard to their efficiency and feasibility.
- The potential of digitalization is used in the area of process optimization: Administrative processes and workflows will be organized efficiently and agile. The focus thereby is on efficient and best-possible process design and not on simple automation.
- By continuing the comprehensive training programs as well as digitalization events, all employees of TU Wien will be included in the digital transformation process.
- The continuous quality assurance of all central IT processes increases the security and efficiency of IT services of TU Wien and renders them comprehensible
- In order to create the best possible conditions for research projects in the fields of Big Data and Artificial Intelligence, TU Wien is expediting a further extension of its High Performance Computing Infrastructure in cooperation with other Austrian universities and research institutions. TU Wien thus lays the groundwork for solving societal challenges and contributes significantly to strengthening Austria’s position as a research site.
- By developing appropriate infrastructures and services for the dissemination of research output of TU Wien (e.g. repositories, digitalization structures, database architectures, metadata acquisition), an efficient research data management will be implemented. It will cover the entire life cycle of the research data from their planning, generation, analysis, evaluation, archiving and publication to the possible reuse by third parties. This establishes an ideal foundation for open access, open data and open science at TU Wien.
- In line with the requirements of a research-guided, flexible and interconnected teaching, the lecture hall infrastructure at TU Wien will be adapted or extended. The focus lies on establishing smart campus areas, thereby encouraging national and international competitiveness of TU Wien.