Financial support for students with disabilities

All students are entitled to family allowance until their 24th birthday. Students with disabilities and other student groups (e.g. students completing military or civilian service, students with children, pregnant students) are now entitled to family allowance until their 25th birthday.

The increased family allowance is paid in addition to the family allowance. The responsible administration is the local tax office. Proof of disability must be submitted (disability pass, assessment notice, official medical certificate). If care allowance for a child is received or applied for, part of the increased amount will be added to the care allowance.

Study grants are a state subsidy for students. In order to be allowed to claim the study grant, the income of the parents, the student him/herself or the spouse must not exceed a certain amount. In addition, a successful academic performance must be proven in order to receive the study grant.

Successful academic performance: After two semesters, proof of successfully completed examinations amounting to at least 14 semester hours per week (SWS) or 30 ECTS credits (depending on the type of university) must be provided. For students with disabilities, the age limit for applying for a study grant is generally raised from 30 to 35 years.

Students with disabilities receive additional support from state measures that go beyond the general study grant as compensation for disadvantages due to their disability. They are entitled to receive the grant for a longer period if they have a recognized disability of at least 50%,

a) for one semester for students suffering from malignant tumors, leukemia, Hodgkin's disease or cerebral palsy or who require a prosthetic leg (thigh), or

b) by half of the planned period of study for blind or severely visually impaired students as well as students who are deaf or severely hard of hearing or who use a predominantly wheelchair, have a hearing implant, are undergoing dialysis treatment or suffer from cystic fibrosis.

Proof of disability can be provided via the increased family allowance, as well as via receipt of the federal care allowance or via proof in accordance with the Federal Disability Employment Act.

The scholarship offices in Vienna, Linz, Salzburg, Innsbruck and Graz are barrier-free. Of course, you can also make an appointment with your scholarship office by telephone outside office hours. Applications can also be submitted by post, fax or online.

You can find more information about the scholarship at, opens an external URL in a new window 
E-mail:, opens in new window 

Stipendienstelle for Vienna, Lower Austria and Burgenland
1100 Vienna, Gudrunstraße 179a / corner of Karmarschgasse


In addition to the general state financial support for students, there is also the possibility for students with disabilities to receive special financial support. This is designed to compensate for the additional financial costs that may arise as a result of a disability (e.g. if technical aids are required). These grants are mostly "optional provisions", which means that you have no legal entitlement to them. Nevertheless, you should not be deterred from applying if you belong to the target group.

As part of school or vocational training, the Bundessozialamt can provide job-related support - for example, if you need sign language interpreters, if you need personal assistance at work (PAA) or if you need a guide dog or partner dog.

In Vienna, this is provided by the Vienna Social Fund (FSW, opens an external URL in a new window).
All further information can be obtained from the Bundessozialamt, opens an external URL in a new window and the FSW. The application forms are also available there.

You can apply for study aids such as Braille displays, special software programs or similar from the state government of your respective federal state. In Vienna, applications are submitted to the Fonds Soziales Wien, opens an external URL in a new window. The application forms for the funding of aids are also available there. If you need help with your application, please contact the Disability Representative, opens an external URL in a new window.

Since January 1, 2010, students with disabilities and chronic illnesses have been able to apply to the social fund of the ÖH. In this context, additional costs for studying can be applied for. The application form can be found on the ÖH homepage.
The ÖH will be happy to answer any further questions you may have.

Österreichische Hochschülerschaft, opens an external URL in a new window
E-Mail an das Sozialreferat der ÖH: 
Ansuchen an den Fonds für Studierende mit Behinderung (PDF), opens a file in a new window