Secondary education diplomas, certificates about completed periods of studies, transcripts need to be presented in an officially legalised form for the admission procedure, unless they were issued in Austria. Copies have to be legalised, too.


The Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research regulates the legalisation of diplomas and certificates for every individual country. In the case of the following issuing countries, legalisation by a notary public is only necessary if you do not present the original document:

  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Liechtenstein
  • North Macedonia
  • Montenegro
  • Norway
  • Switzerland
  • Serbia
  • Iceland
  • and Member states of the European Union

According to bilateral agreements (Hague Convention), documents issued in certain countries does not need to be fully legalised, but an Apostille issued in the country which issued the original document is sufficient. Usually you can get the Apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Justice or the Ministry of Education of the issuing country.

The following countries signed the Hague Convention:

  • A: Albania, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan
  • B: Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bolivia, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei
  • C: Cape Verde, Canada, Chile, China (including Macao and Hong Kong), Columbia, Costa Rica, Cyprus (North)
  • D-J: Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Grenada, Guyana, Honduras, Iceland, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan
  • K-L: Kap Verde, Kazakhstan, Korea (Republic), Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia
  • M-N: Malawi, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Morocco, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua
  • O-R: Oman, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Ruanda, Russia
  • S: Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tomé and Principe, San Marino, Saudi Arabia, Seychelles, Singapore, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Suriname, Swaziland
  • T: Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey
  • U-Z: United Kingdom, Ukraine, USA, Uruguay,  Vanuatu, Venezuela and Zimbabwe

Documents from countries with which Austria has no agreement have to be fully legalised. An authentication from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from the issuing country is necessary for the required document.

Please report to the Austrian embassy/consulate in the country where your documents were issued, showing your certificate. For your admission procedure, the last authentication issued by an Austrian authority is crucial.

For information about legalisation requirements for individual states, please refer to the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research, NARIC (National Academic Recognition Information Centre) AUSTRIA.

Documents which are required for the admission procedure and which are not originally issued in German have to be translated into German, and the translation has to be certified by notary. Original English documents are accepted.

Please note! Translations should be done only after legalisation if necessary!