Graduating from a Master's degree course
To register for the diploma examination please contact us at email@example.com . (Applies to collective and individual examination dates).
We do not accept TISS registrations date selections as an exam registration.
Once all the necessary courses have been successfully completed, it is possible to apply for the DIPLOMA EXAMINATION online via the following link https://tiss.tuwien.ac.at/stab/, opens an external URL in a new window
The exams you have taken will automatically be allocated to the examination subjects in TISS, and you have the opportunity to change or add to these allocations. Unusual allocations and allocations of other universities’ examinations will be entered during your visit to the Dean’s Office.
Please ask your supervisor to enter and grade the thesis via the TISS system, opens an external URL in a new window.
Once allocation has been successfully completed in TISS, at least 3 weeks before the date of the diploma examination, the following documents must be collected and delivered to the Dean’s Office (Getreidemarkt 9, BA, 3rd floor, 1060 Vienna):
- Admission decision, where applicable
- Notification of exam recognition, where applicable
- General documents to be submitted (Request (PDF), Privacy statement (PDF), Factsheet (PDF), Voluntary declaration of consent(PDF))
- A current study form
- Proof of citizenship or passport
- Due to the regulation on statistical surveys (Federal Law Gazette BGBl. II No. 290), we ask you to complete the electronic form found by following this link: https://www.statistik.at/ustat2/ Once you have completed the survey, please print out the UStat2 confirmation available online and hand this over to the Dean’s Office when applying for graduation. If you do not wish to participate in this survey, we ask that instead, you provide a short, written justification for this when applying for graduation at the Dean’s Office.
- If your work is to be under embargo, please note the duration and reason for the embargo in TISS under "my work" and then print out and sign the restriction on use and also hand it over to the Dean’s Office.
- A bound version of the thesis (HARDCOVER) must be available at the Dean’s Office by the time of the diploma examination at the latest!
- Template for completing the first page of the thesis
The chair and second examiner should receive a pdf file of the thesis before the oral examination.
When applying for the thesis, the date and time (time slot) for the examination must already be agreed with the first and second examiner.
Unfortunately we can no longer allow registration without a precise date and time.
The first come, first served principle applies!
Diploma examination procedure
In the first part of the diploma examination, the examination candidate makes a 20-minute presentation of their thesis. This is followed by a defence of the thesis. Then the examiners ask questions on the subject of the thesis and related fields.
The new Directives (PDF), opens a file in a new window for the electronic legal deposit of university theses apply from 01/09/2013.
From now on, diploma exams will only be held on the dates given below (In exceptional cases, individual appointments are offered).
Dates winter semester 2021/22
December 15 + 16, 2021 (last submission November 22, 2021)
January 26 + 27, 2022 (last submission January 10, 2022)
February 23 + 24, 2022 (last submission January 31, 2022)
Dates summer semester 2022
March 23 + 24, 2022 (last submission February 28, 2022)
April 20 + 21, 2022 (last submission March 28, 2022)
May 18 + 19, 2022 (last submission April 25, 2022)
June 14 + 15, 2022 (last submission May 25, 2022)
Diploma exams will be held in public in accordance with legal requirements. You have the opportunity to participate in the exams listed above as part of the audience.
NOTE: the Dean of Studies will only approve a thesis EMBARGO of 2 years at the most. If the work is to be embargoed for longer, the restriction on use must be sent to the Vice Rector for Study and Teaching, Associate Professor Kurt Matyas.
Dates for diploma exams can be found further down the page.