To understand what research communities require to perform cutting-edge research, EOSCSecretariat, opens an external URL in a new window partner TU Wien engaged with international and diverse research communities, University Networks as well as with representatives from funding bodies. As part of these activities, a series of workshops, opens an external URL in a new window, explorations and consultations with Nobel Laureates, ERC grant holders, members of the Marie Curie Alumni Association and members of the Young Academy of Europe (YAE) were organized – all with an emphasis on visions, needs and requirements for future research environments.
The series was launched in December 2019. Ever since the first talk with an expert for Physics of Nanostructured Materials was published, more explorations followed with researchers from the Social Sciences and Humanities, Natural Sciences, Engineering and Technical Science and Medical and Health Sciences. TU Wien considered geographical spread as well as the need to think of research as a global endeavor. Ten interviews have been published so far, though, knowing that discussions on preferred (future) research environments cannot be limited to the period of one project or initiative, more is still to come.
For further information on what researchers need to do cutting-edge research, or how they think the EOSC could support them in their endeavors, please, check out the interviews below.
Inquired: What researchers say
- Toma Susi: ERC grantee; Physics of Nanostructured Materials; University of Vienna (https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/news-opinion/researchers-eosc-interview-toma-susi)
- Wolfgang Wagner: Head of the Research Group Microwave Remote Sesing; TU Wien
- Ottavio Quirico: Marie Curie Fellow, International Law, EU Law, Comparative Laws; UNE School of Law
- Isabel Krug: Marie Curie Fellow; Clinical Psychology; University of Melbourne
- Joachim Frank: Nobel Laureate; Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics; Columbia University (https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/news-opinion/interview-nobel-laureate-joachim-frank-science)
- Monika Wolkers: ERC grantee; Medical Biology; Sanquin
- Saket Saurabh: ERC grantee; Theoretical Computer Science; University of Bergen (https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/news-opinion/saket-saurabh-european-researchers-interview-erc-grantee-bergen)
- Elise Muir: ERC grantee; European Law, Fundamental Rights Law in Europe; KU Leuven (https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/news-opinion/perspectives-european-researchers-elise-muir-interview-erc-grantee-ku-leuven)
- Emanuele Campiglio: ERC grantee; Economics and Business; Vienna University of Economics and Business (https://www.eoscsecretariat.eu/news-opinion/getting-perspectives-european-researchers-interview-erc-grantee-emanuele-campiglio
- Nicolas Schuck: ERC grantee; Neural and Computational Basis of Learning, Memory and Decision Making; Max Planck Institute for Human Development
Workshop reports and key takeaway messages
- Report on the Workshop “Co-creating the EOSC: Needs and requirements for future research environments”. DOI 10.5281/zenodo.3701194
- Report on the online session "Visions, requirements and needs for Future Research Environments in the Healthcare domain". DOI 10.5281/zenodo.4015121
- Report “Co-creating EOSC: University Networks shaping EOSC”. DOI 10.5281/zenodo.3693914
- Key messages of EOSC Secretariat “Researcher engagement” activities. DOI 10.5281/zenodo.3701269
- Key messages of Healthcare session. DOI 10.5281/zenodo.4030301
EOSC Interest Groups
The EOSC Secretariat has created Interest Groups (IGs) were created to give the EOSC related community the opportunity to collaborate, share information, and discuss EOSC related topics. For researchers’ engagement, see
EOSC contact at TU Wien
TU Wien is partner in the H2020 project EOSCsecretariat.eu,, opens an external URL in a new window delivering 360° support to the European Open Science Cloud (EOSC) Governance. Specifically, it addresses the need for the set-up of an operational framework supporting the overall Governance of the EOSC.
EOSCsecretariat.eu contacts at TU Wien
- Andreas Rauber (PI)
- Barbara Sánchez
- Paolo Budroni
- Katharina Flicker
- Juliana De Mello Castro Giroletti
- Bernd Saurugger
EOSCsecretariat.eu has received funding from the European Union's Horizon Programme call H2020-INFRAEOSC-05-2018-2019, Grant Agreement number 831644.