The Austrian Policy on Open Science and the European Open Science Cloud was adopted on 23.2.2022 during a joint presentation to the Council of Ministers by the Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research (BMBWF), the Federal Ministry for Digital and Economic Affairs (BMDW) and the Federal Ministry for Climate Action, Environment, Energy, Mobility, Innovation, and Technology (BMK). In addition to introductory information on the history of its development and a detailed preamble, the policy contains the following two main sections.
Principles of the Open Science Policy Austria
In this section, the following eight core tasks of Open Science are addressed:
- Rewards and incentives
- Research indicators and next-generation metrics
- Future of scholarly communication
- European open science cloud (EOSC)
- FAIR data
- Research integrity
- Skills and education
- Citizen science
Austrian declaration on Open Science and the European Open Science Cloud
The declaration focuses on the following topics, each supplemented by an information box with planned measures:
- Publication of scientific and research data based on the FAIR principles
- Participation in European and international Open Science processes - the European Open Science Cloud - EOSC
- Open access - access to publicly funded publications
- Open Educational Resources (OER)
For more information and to download the policy visit the BMBWF’s Open Science Policy website, opens an external URL in a new window.
Public Sector Information (PSI) Directive: Directive (EU) 2019/1024 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 20 June 2019 on open data and the re-use of public sector information (recast), opens an external URL in a new window.
Center for Research Data Management
Favoritenstraße 16 (top floor), 1040 Vienna