The Research Division Biochemical Technology tries to find answers to the following research questions:
- Why do industrially used fungi degenerate?
- How can plant biomass be metabolized to valuable products?
- How can genomes of fungi help us to find new bioactive compounds for industry and medicine?
- How to achieve the efficient biological degradation of plastics?
- How can we quickly and specifically detect sources of microbial pollution in water?
- What is the impact of different pollution sources on human health?
These topics are worked on in three Research Groups:
Research Group Synthetische Biologie und Molekulare Biotechnologie (166-5-1)
Research Group Mikrobiologie und Molekulare Diagnostik (166-5-3)