Our main focus is: Method development for efficient and scientifically based bioprocess development The methodology to develop our methods follows the “ring of fire”:
- Objective functions (maximum yield, best Quality Attribute, …) are formulated from the measured process variables
- Consistent Data Set: Analyse the gathered data sets for data quality and consistency
- Information & Experimental Design: Convert the data to scalable information descriptors (such as yields and specific rates) and use them in efficient experimental designs (such as physiological DoEs)
- Knowledge & Modelling: Extract hypotheses from the experiments and the information descriptors and formulate mechanistic models, based on physiology, morphology with a segregated or structured view on biomass.
- Optimum & Predictive Control: Implement the models in a real time context and experimental designs and operated on the objective function as defined in 1.
Univ.Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Dr.techn. Christoph Herwig
Head, Research Group for Bioprocess Technology
Getreidemarkt 9, 1060 Vienna, Austria