Time-of-Flight Secondary Ion Mass Spectrometry (ToF-SIMS)
The TOF-SIMS 5 by IONTOF provides detailed elemental and molecular information about a sample's surface, thin layer structure, and interfaces. That enables a complete three-dimensional analysis of a specimen.
Its unique design guarantees optimum performance in all fields of SIMS applications. The product line includes:
- 4" version for sample sizes up to 100 mm in diameter
- 8" version for sample sizes up to 200 mm in diameter
- 12" version for sample sizes up to 300 mm in diameter
The instrument is basically equipped with a reflectron time-of-flight analyzer giving high secondary ion transmission with high mass resolution, an analysis column (liquid metal ion gun; BiMn alloy), a dual source column (O2 and Cs), a sample chamber with a 5-axis manipulator (x, y, z, rotation and tilt) for flexible navigation, a fast entry load-lock, charge compensation for the analysis of insulators, a secondary electron detector for SEM imaging, state-of-the-art vacuum system, and an extensive computer package for automation and data handling.
In our laboratory, the ToF-SIMS 5 is also equipped with argon (Ar) as additional sputter species in the dual source column and an integrable heating/cooling sample holder for controlled temperature experiments in a range of approximately -150 °C up to +500 °C.
- Surface spectrometry:
- quasi non-destructive for the outer monolayers
- information about elemental and molecular composition
- sensitivity: parts per million (ppm) / parts per billion (ppb)
- Surface imaging:
- chemical surface mapping
- lateral distribution of elements/molecules
- lateral resolution: down to 50 nm
- Depth profiling:
- in-depth distribution analysis
- elemental/molecular information
- depth resolution: <1 nm
- analytical distance from few nanometers (nm) to several micrometers (µm)
- 3D analysis:
- defect analysis (buried particles, diffusion channels,..)
- material science (grain boundaries, diffusion,..)
Find more information on the manufacturer's website, iontof.com, opens an external URL in a new window.