The Research Unit Sociology is the social science centre of the Faculty of Architecture and Spatial Planning at TU Wien. We are active in research, teaching and science communication and practice consulting.
In research, we prefer to work in inter- and transdisciplinary contexts and are also engaged in developing innovative and participatory methods (co-creation and action research). Our primary research areas are:
- Social inequality, poverty and discrimination,
- Urban development and urban renewal,
- Democracy, participation and governance,
- Housing, mobility and sustainability,
- Technological change and digital transformation.
In teaching, we convey:
- Social and societal theoretical as well as planning theoretical basics,
- Methods and techniques of communication and participation,
- Methods of social research and evaluation of planning processes and projects,
- Social science contributions to the relationship between society, space and planning.
In knowledge communication and consulting, we accompany organisations in dealing with social problems and challenges. Our partners include city administrations, planning offices, foundations and housing companies from Austria, Germany and other countries.