Welcome at the Research Unit of Law
At the Research Unit of Law, we see it as our mission to address the key challenges of Spatial and Urban Planning in both research and teaching. While maintaining a legal perspective, as part of the Institute for Spatial Planning at the Vienna University of Technology we are uniquely positioned to pursue a decidedly interdisciplinary approach in close exchange with our colleagues from various academic fields.
In addition to Spatial Planning Law itself, our research and teaching is primarily focused on:
- Public Building and Plant Construction Law;
- Environmental Law (Strategic Environmental Assessment and Environmental Impact Assessment Law, Conservation Law, Forestry Law);
- Infrastructure Law (Energy, Transportation, Water and Water Processing Law);
- Public Services and the legal structures of social market economy (e.g. social housing); as well as
- Legal challenges of digitilization and the regulation of new and emerging technologies (e.g. in the framework of Smart Cities).
Beyond these core areas of our work, we have proven expertise in legal questions surrounding ICTs in general and data protection in particular.