Incoming exchange students

FAQ - frequently asked questions

ECTS credits are awarded based on the amount of effort required to complete each course. The official workload of a semester is comprised of 30 ECTS credits.  

Note: Please keep in mind that the average time taken by local students to complete their studies at TU Wien is more than the official length of studies (for Bachelor, 6 semesters and Master, 4 semesters). This means that the average workload is less than 30 ECTS credits.

A workload of 30 credits per semester or 60 credits per year should therefore be considered as more than an average Austrian student would perform during a year.

  • Come to one of the Orientation Sessions or go directly to the International Office (please mind the opening hours) to get approved;
  • With your passport (ID card) you go to the Admission Office during their opening hours;
  • There you will receive your TUCard (= student ID card) and an information sheet which shows your TISS-PIN- code, your Student ID Number and the account information of TU Wien;
  • Pay the fee for the students’ union at any Bank, a post office or via online banking within 14 days, otherwise your TISS code will be deactivated;
  • Use your TISS-PIN-code to activate your student account by filling in this web mask:
  • Change your address in your student account to your Viennese address.
  • TUCard (=Student ID Card): 3-4 workdays after you paid the students’ union fee, the status “reported continued” will be shown in your student account. Subsequently, you need to validate your TUCard at one of the designated kiosks.

Your registration is completed now.


Gusshausstrasse 28, 1040 Wien, 1st floor

Underground station: Karlsplatz or Taubstummengasse

Our opening hours:
Monday and Thursday: 9:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Wednesday: 9:30-11:30 a.m.

> Map, opens a file in a new window


The TUCard is your Student ID Card. When you finish your registration at the admission office in person, you will receive your student ID Card. As soon as you see your status as “reported continued” in your student account (3-4 workdays after you paid the students’ union fee), you need to validate your TUCard at one of the designated kiosks.

In case you lose your TUCard, you need to order a duplicate at cost via your TISS Account:, opens an external URL in a new window


  • your passport or personal ID card.


Karlsplatz 13, 1040 Wien, Staircase 2, 1st floor
Underground station: Karlsplatz

Opening hours:

Monday: 9:30 - 12:00 a.m.
Tuesday: 9:30 - 12:00 a.m.
Wednesday: 1:30 - 4:00 p.m.
Thursday: 9:30 - 12:00 a.m.

Please note that there are different opening hours during the summer holidays (July-September):, opens an external URL in a new window

> Map, opens a file in a new window

Please ask the Erasmus-coordinator or the Erasmus student advisor of your home university, which courses you should attend at TU Wien before leaving. If you need further assistance, you could also get in contact with your Academic Adviser at TU Wien.

For more information about your courses and the registration process, please check TISS. If you go to "Courses", opens an external URL in a new window you can search for courses and get more detailed information about them. You can also search for courses held in English if you use the option for extended search. An overview of all academic programs and courses you can find in TISS under "Academic Programs", opens an external URL in a new window.

You will get your TISS-PIN-Code necessary for activating your computer account during your registration at the Admission Office.


Print out your transcript of records from your student account under student self service. Transcripts of records are valid documents with a digital sign and stamp (= QR-Barcode). You have access to your account until 5 months after the end of the semester. We don’t send any hard copies by mail.

If you have been waiting for your certificates for quite a long time, please contact your examiner directly.

ATTENTION: For the INNES German Course you receive a separate certificate incl. grade, 6 ECTS, TU-Logo. You have to include the course into your learning agreement but it is not possible to list this course on your transcript of records from TISS.


Yes, it is possible to prolong the stay from winter to summer semester. Therefore, your university should send a confirmation email to It‘s important to inform us – otherwise you cannot get enrolled again!


To buy the “Semesterticket” for public transport, you need the following documents:

  • Studienblatt (=record of studies) which you have to generate in your student account under “Student Self Service” (only available after you have been to the Orientation and Registration Session and Admission Office);
  • Payment confirmation of the students’ union fee;
  • Form „Semesterkarte“ (also available at the Wiener Linien shops);
  • “Meldezettel"*.

Bring the documents to the shop of Wiener Linien at the underground station "Karlsplatz". The opening hours are from MON-FRI from 6:30 a.m. - 7:00 p.m.

All students who are younger than 26 years old and who are enrolled as students can buy the “Semesterticket”.

*If you have already registered for main/principal residence in Vienna, opens an external URL in a new window, the "Semesterticket" costs € 75,- upon presentation of “Meldezettel” (see Welcome Guide page 24).

Form “Meldezettel” >>, opens an external URL in a new window.


The Mensa, opens an external URL in a new window is located at the Freihaus building, Wiedner Hauptstraße 8-10, 1040 Wien or at Gußhausstraße 27-29.

Get the „Mensapickerl“ of the students’ union to use the Mensa to reduced prices:, opens an external URL in a new window

> Map, opens a file in a new window


Join the Welcome Weekend and the First Contact Evenings organized by the ESN Buddynetwork of TU Wien. Meet Austrian and international students at the meetings. Please find more information at the Buddynetwork Homepage, opens an external URL in a new window.

Register on, opens an external URL in a new window and join the groups of:

  • the International Office, e.g. "TU Wien – exchangein – 2017/18"
  • the ESN Buddynetwork, e.g. “ESN Buddynetwork TU Wien – spring semester 2018”.


e.g. Social Erasmus "Share & Care" organized by the ESN Buddynetwork:, opens an external URL in a new window


You can search for a doctor under, opens an external URL in a new window.

Students from the EU can use their own insurance card (, opens an external URL in a new window) for medical services. To receive free medical treatment, please see a National Health doctor (who treats non-privately insured patients) = “Kassenarzt”.

Students from non-EU member states who do not have health insurance may purchase an Austrian student health insurance ("Studierendenselbstversicherung”) for a monthly fee of about € 50.- with the national health insurance carrier (“Wiener Gebietskrankenkasse”), opens an external URL in a new window.


In the framework of the Erasmus+ program, trainees could be enrolled as mobility students – if at least one month of the period will be spent during the semester, e.g. trainees cannot be enrolled in the case the traineeship takes place from July to September.

Mobility students have to pay the fee for the students’ union and are therefore covered by the students’ accident and liability insurance. This insurance also covers accidents during travels made for work purposes and accidents on the way to work and back from work.

For more information on how to get enrolled at TU Wien, please email to


Find also “FAQs” that are useful, e.g. on mobile phone or bank account, on the webpage of the ESN Buddynetwork:, opens an external URL in a new window



Gusshausstrasse 28, 1st floor
1040 Vienna



9:30-11:30 and 13:30-16:30

Wednesday: 9:30-11:30

9:30-11:30 and 13:30-16:30

Attention! Due to the current situation (coronavirus), the personal counselling in the International Office has been restricted. Please send us your questions by email or give us a call. Personal counselling only by appointment.


Contact persons >>