XR in Teaching
Short title: XR in Teaching
Long title: Extended Reality in Teaching
Sponsoring: TU Wien, Vize Rektorat für Digitalisierung and Infrastruktur
Assignment to our (IMW) research priorities:
- Analysis of existing Extended Reality (XR) enhanced university lectures and the requirements of the labour market
- Technical needs (requirement/analysis)
- Design and implementation of innovative teaching methods
- Creation of teaching materials in the area of XR at TU Wien
- Conducting interfaculty workshops in the area of XR enhanced teaching
- Project management and dissemination
The use of extended reality (XR) in teaching is an emerging trend that has the potential to revolutionize the way students learn. However, despite its potential benefits, the incorporation of Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) technology into the curriculum is still limited in many educational institutions. AR/VR technology can enhance traditional teaching methods by providing immersive and interactive experiences for students. This technology can create virtual environments that simulate real-life scenarios, allowing students to practice skills and gain experience without any risk.
However, there is currently a gap in research-oriented teaching in AR/VR technology. The lack of XR in academic teaching created the need for such future-oriented teaching methods and led to the realization of a unified XR approach at the TU Vienna, which resulted in the project "XR in Teaching". XR in Teaching project aims to develop an integrated knowledge and learning platform that will provide students and educators with the necessary tools to incorporate AR/VR technology into their teaching and learning practices. By leveraging the benefits of AR/VR technology, this project aims to enhance the learning experience for students, promote interdisciplinary collaboration, and prepare students for the digital future.
This existing gap in research-oriented teaching in the field of XR-enhanced teaching is to be closed in the XR in Teaching project by building an XR roadmap for TU Wien and best-practice teaching scenes for students and lecturers at TU Wien.
- TU Wien benefits from developing an innovative degree program and infrastructure and positions itself as an innovation driver in modern teaching programs.
- Provides a contribution to the profiling of TU Wien under the motto "Technology for People" as an innovative university in the rapidly growing Industry 4.0 landscape.
- Students and lecturers are enabled by best-practice VR teaching scenes
- TU Wien benefits from a scientifically developed XR roadmap
Telephone: +43 1 58801-33048