Who qualifies for Master Building Science and Technology?

 Our applicants have submitted:

  • a degree from one of the following accredited national or international degree-granting programs (Bachelor, Master or Diploma): architecture, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, media computer science, software & information engineering, technical computer science or any other subject related field (if the field is subject related or not is decided by the dean of studies).
  • Special entrance qualification for university (just if you are not a member of an EU/EWR country).
  • CV including relevant work experience (max. 3 A4 pages)
  • Statement of intent (max. 2 A4 pages)
  • Proficiency in English language
    (CAE - minimum score 160 (Level B2), FCE – minimum grade C,
    IELTS Academic– minimum score 6.5, TOEFL iBT – minimum score 87)
  • Proof of academic aptitude through recognized exams  (preferred GRE)
  • Applicant’s passport copy


What steps do I take after I have applied for Master Building Science and Technology?

  • All Applications must be received in the admission period from February 1st 2019 - May 20th 2019 (for the academic year 2019/20).
  • When you get the positive Acceptance sheet back you can do the online pre-registration. (The online pre-registration is for your general data and for the photo upload of your Study ID [TU Card]. When you finish it you will get a sequenz number, this will be needed for the registration so don't lose it. The pre-registration for academic year will be available with begin of July.)
  • After you have successfully done the pre-online registration come to Vienna to the Department of Studies and Examination and finish your registration there in personal. You can do this till the 30th of November but we would recommend you to do this before the classes start (Begin of October). For the registration you will need:
  1. The sequenznumber you get after the online pre-registration
  2. Your passport
  3. All other documents needed for the application (certificates, ....)
  • After this you have to pay the Tuition fee (bank information and amount will be given by the Department of Studies and Examination).

When you have finished these steps you can login into your account in TISS Account and personalize it (2-3 hours after registration) and your TU Card will be send to you in 14 days.

Application Q&A

Q: What is the admission period?

A: The application deadline for the academic year 2019/2020 has expired. There is no possibility to start in the summer semester! There are currently no plans to offer this Master programme in the future.

Q: What is an Academic preparation or GRE?

A: An academic preparation is a demonstration of qualification for graduate studies demonstrated, preferably through Graduate Record Exam (GRE – www.ets.org/gre/). When you decide to choose this exam please make a "GRE revised General Test" and state the DI Code 0919 for our university and 0000 or 5199 for the department.

Q: Do I need to do the GRE or are there other ways to proof my academic aptitude?

A: The proof of academic aptitude is not mandatory for your application. But when we have more applications than free places in the program we use it as a ranking criteria. Others ways of showing your academic aptitude would be published articles in scientific journals or published scientific books.

Q: What is a "special university entrance qualification"?

A: The Certificate of special entrance qualification for university studies consists in the fulfilment of additional study specific admission requirements including the admission statement to the chosen degree programme, applicable in the state which issued the secondary education diploma.

What does Certificate of special entrance qualification mean?

In order to be admitted at the Vienna University of Technology, you have to prove that you would be entitled to an admission to your chosen degree programme in the country which issued your secondary education diploma for the semester you want to start your studies at the Vienna University of Technology. A corresponding confirmation referring to the nearest related branch of studies must be provided in cases where the branch of studies applied for does not exist in the country where the secondary school leaving diploma was issued.

Who has to prove the special university entrance qualification?

All applicants who are not citizens of an EU/EEA member state have to prove they are entitled to an admission to the chosen degree programme, applicable in the country which issued the secondary education diploma for the semester you want to start your studies at the Vienna University of Technology.

Places at universities are either administered by a central authority (e.g. Turkey) or through a system of entrance or qualification examinations.

Is there a validity period of the Certificate of special entrance qualification?

The confirmation must be issued by a technical university / faculty of the country where the secondary school leaving diploma was issued. It must be valid for the desired date of commencement of studies at the Vienna University of Technology.

Who needs no proof of the special university entrance qualification?

There are special regulations regarding admission for applicants holding a secondary education diploma/academic degree issued in certain states and for applicants holding a citizenship of certain countries.

  • Citizens of EU and EEA countries with a proof of general university entrance qualification (independent of the country of issue);
  • The centre of the vital interests of the applicant or the person obliged to provide maintenance for the applicant (i.e. exclusively a parent or spouse) has continuously been in Austria throughout the 5 years directly preceding the application. The centre of vital interests must be proven by submission of a registration certificate. Additionally, an insurance certificate, a work certificate, a wage tax card or similar document must be provided;
  • The applicant or the person obliged to provide maintenance for the applicant enjoy diplomatic immunity in Austria (submission of the legitimisation card);
  • The applicant is a refugee officially recognised in Austria pursuant to the Geneva Convention.
  • The applicant has applied for asylum in Austria and asylum proceedings are pending. In this case, a validasylum card must be submitted;
  • The applicant submits a secondary school leaving diploma issued by an Austrian school abroad (e.g. St. Georgs Kolleg in Istanbul);
  • The applicant is a foreign journalist accredited and having his or her main occupation in Austria. This provision also includes the spouses and children of foreign journalists (submission of the accreditation document);
  • The applicant has been granted a scholarship for the intended course of studies under provisions of a state treaty or, in the same amount, from those funds of an Austrian territorial authority that must, pursuant to the financial provisions of the relevant territorial authority, expressly be used for scholarships.

Q: Why do I have to prove that I would be allowed to enroll for a Master programme in my home country?

 A: Some countries require their students to take a separate exam to be admitted to a Master programme, therefore you have to prove that you took this exam and/or are theoretically allowed to enter a Master programme.

Q: How to do Legalisation and translations of documents?

A: Secondary education diplomas, certificates about completed periods of studies, transcripts and the proof of the special university entrance qualification (admission statement)  need to be presented in an officially legalised form for the admission procedure, unless they were issued in Austria. Copies have to be legalised, too.

Which legalisation criteria apply for the different states?

The Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research regulates the legalisation of diplomas and certificates for every individual country. In the case of the following issuing countries, legalisation by a notary public is only necessary if you do not present the original document:

Bosnia and Herzegovina, Liechtenstein, Macedonia, Montenegro, Norway, Switzerland, Serbia and Member states of the European Union.


According to bilateral agreements (Hague Convention), documents issued in certain countries does not need to be fully legalised, but an apostille issued in the country which issued the original document is sufficient. Usually you can get the apostille from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Ministry of Justice or the Ministry of Education of the issuing country.

The following countries signed the Hague Convention:

Albania, Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Argentina, Armenia, Australia, Azerbaijan, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Botswana, Brunei, Cape Verde, China (only Macao and Hong Kong), Columbia, Costa Rica, Cyprus (Nord), Dominica, Ecuador, El Salvador, Fiji, Georgia, Grenada, Guyana, Honduras, Iceland, India, Israel, Japan, Kap Verde, Kazakhstan, Korea (Republic), Latvia, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Malta, Marshall Islands, Mauritius, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mozambique, Namibia, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Niue, Oman, Panama, Peru, Russia, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, Sao Tomé and Principe, San Marino, Seychelles, Solomon Islands, South Africa, Suriname, Swaziland, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Ukraine, USA, Uruguay, Vanuatu, Venezuela and Zimbabwe.

Fully legalised documents:

Documents from countries with which Austria has no agreement have to be fully legalised. An authentication from the Ministry of Education and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from the issuing country is necessary for the required document.

Please report to the Austrian embassy/consulate in the country where your documents were issued, showing your certificate. For your admission procedure, the last authentication issued by an Austrian authority is crucial.

Further information

For information about legalisation requirements for individual states, please refer to the Austrian Federal Ministry of Science and Research, NARIC (National Academic Recognition Information Centre) AUSTRIA.

Which documents need to be translated?

Documents which are required for the admission procedure and which are not originally issued in German have to be translated into German, and the translation has to be certified by notary. Original English documents are accepted.

Please note: Translations should be done only after legalisation if necessary!

Q: Who is responsible for the application process?

 A: The application process is handled by a separate department of Vienna University of Technology namely the department for studies and examination. Their address can be found on top of the application PDF file. When sending documents, please only use a shipping method that provides you with live online tracking (e.g. UPS) so that it's possible to see when the department received the application.

Q: How can I prove my knowledge of the English language?

A: There are internationally recognized diplomas like TOEFL or GRE. For admission for master of building science and technology you need to proof proficiency in English on level B2. This means you have to meet the following minimum grades or scores: CAE - minimum score 45, FCE – minimum grade C, TOEFL iBT – minimum score 87, IELTS Academic – minimum score 6.5

 Please note that local certificates of Highschools or Universities and also the studying of a program taught in English cannot be taken into account for this point.

Q: English is my native language; do I need to proof my proficiency in English as well?

A: This requirement may be waived for applicants whose native language is English.

Q: Are there any scholarships available?

A: There are possibility to get scholarships for further information go to this site. Austrian scholarships are very rare and mostly given to national students. For students from the EU it's advisable to apply for an EU scholarship. Another option is to apply for a mobility scholarship from your home country.

Q: What are the entry- and residence regulations for citizens of my country?

A: For information concerning entry- and residence regulations consult the Austrian embassy in your country. A list of all Austrian embassies can be found here.