Summer and Winter Schools are offered by our partner universities in Japan. These programs are not part of the regular exchange agreements and in some cases may include tuition fees. It is important to know that these short term stays may not result in a recognition of ECTS credits. Depending on the specific university, the programs focus on intercultural exchange, Japanese language training, engineering courses or individual research.
Before applying to any of the summer or winter schools, please consult with JASEC staff beforehand and get informed about the specific requirements.
Hokkaido Summer Institute (HSI) 2022
More than 160 world-leading researchers from overseas will provide lectures with the university’s faculty members for five months during the summer for the HSI, which was established in 2016 and more than 1,000 international students have participated so far.
- There will be over 270 courses (around 220 graduate courses and around 50 undergraduate courses) from June 1st to October 31st, 2022.
- Each course is worth 1 academic credit. Most of the courses run for one or two weeks.
- Students can tailor their own summer program by combining courses according to their major and interests.
- In 2022, HSI will launch eHSI which provides more options of online courses. Applicants will be able to choose from 100 online courses.
- Most of the courses offered online will also be available face-to-face at HU. Participants may come to Japan and take face-to-face classes if the situations allow.
- Tuition fee will be waived for students who enroll in the program as exchange students from HU’s partner institutions with which HU has concluded a departmental exchange agreement on mutual tuition waivers. Students are required to take at least one course organized by the HU department which your institution has concluded the agreement with.
1st: March 7 (Mon.) – 16 (Wed.), 2022 (All courses)
2nd: June 1 (Wed.) – 7 (Tue), 2022 (Courses offered in the latter half of the program
Students are required to apply through the HSI application system.
For more details, please visit HSI's website, öffnet eine externe URL in einem neuen Fenster, HSI's Facebook page, öffnet eine externe URL in einem neuen Fenster and HSI's Instagram page, öffnet eine externe URL in einem neuen Fenster.
Please take a look at the poster, öffnet eine Datei in einem neuen Fenster and the program folder, öffnet eine Datei in einem neuen Fenster with additional information.
UTokyo Global Unit Courses
The University of Tokyo is calling for application for the fee-based online summer program, called UTokyo Global Unit Courses.
We are delighted to announce our online summer program, UTokyo Global Unit Courses (UTokyo GUC) for 2022.
We believe these online and on-demand courses offer a great opportunity for your students to experience the University of Tokyo and Japan during this time of the pandemic. The course contents range from humanities to social and natural sciences (see below for the list of courses for 2022). They are taught entirely in English by cutting-edge scholars who are full-time faculty members of the university. In addition, we also offer Japanese language courses. Most of the courses can be completed in one week and the students will be granted Global Unit and a certificate will be issued upon completion of the course. In order to make the courses accessible, we are keeping the fees at minimum (50,000 yen per Unit).
The 2022 courses are built on the great success we had in the summer of 2021. We were happy to welcome many wonderful students from our partner institutions and we hope to do the same this summer. We would greatly appreciate it if you could share this information with your students. Should you have any questions, please feel free to let us know.
UTokyo Global Unit Courses
- Media in Japan and the World / Prof. Kaori Hayashi
- Law in Transnational East Asia / Prof. Kentaro Matsubara
- Writings About Japan: Analyzing Cultural Representations, From Orientalism to Artificial Intelligence. / Prof. Yujin Yaguchi
- Group Theory and Its Applications: Introduction to Beautiful Modern Mathematics / Prof. Yukari Ito
- Nanoscience / Prof. Satoshi Iwamoto
- Sustainable Urban Management / Associate Prof. Kiyo Kurisu
- Early Language Acquisition: How Human Infants Learn Language Within Their Social Environment. /Assistant Prof. Sho Tsuji
- AI and Social Justice / Prof. Yuko Itatsu
Japanese Language Courses
*Japanese Language Courses are open only to the students who register for at least one of the above courses.
- Survival Japanese for Beginners
- Tips on Reading Japanese Kanji for Kanji Background Students
- Interview Project in Japanese “Let's get to know UTokyo students!”
- Rediscovering the pleasure and challenges of studying the language and society of Japan
Application is already closed!
The program fee is JPY 50,000 per Unit/ JPN 25,000 per 0.5 Unit.
Get the most recent updates via our Social Media Channels
We often receive program offerings and updates on a short notice by our partners. Stay informed and subscribe our channels on social media as we will publish these programs there as soon they get in.