Vienna for Incoming Scientists

At Vienna International Airport you can choose three public transports to reach the centre of the city

  • The City Airport Train (CAT) takes 16 minutes to Wien Mitte station where connection is given to underground, tram and bus.
    Price (single): €11.00

  • Vienna Airport Lines (Postbus) reach the main transport nodal points of Vienna.
    Price (single): €8.00

  • The Schnellbahn (S-Bahn) is the cheapest way of getting from the airport to Vienna (Wien Mitte) and takes 25 minutes.
    Price: from €4.40 (including travel on Vienna public transport)
    Timetable (German)

The OeAD Housing Office (OeAD-WohnraumverwaltungsGmbH) provides accomodation (flats or places in student halls of residence) for visiting professors and scientists in Vienna.


For general information regarding accomodation in Austria:

In order to open a bank account in Austria, you have to present a valid personal ID card or passport and your registration form (Meldezettel) in the branch bank of your choice. It is advisable to open a current account (Girokonto) to which your salary is paid.

Proof of Residence

In Austria every person (Austrians, EU/EEA nationals, nationals of third countries) has to register in their place of residence. The registration office in Vienna is the Registration Service Centre located in the Vienna District Offices. Opening hours and addresses (German).

Your have to register with the authorities within 3 days after your removal. After registration procedure you receive a residence registration certificate (Meldebestätigung) for free.Further information:

Brief Information on Registration Services

Registration and Notice of Change

Registration Services (German)

Registration for EU Citizens, Other EEA Citizens and Swiss People

Nationals of EU/EEA countries and Switzerland who are staying in Austria longer than 3 months have to apply for a registration certificate (Anmeldebescheinigung) within the first 4 months of their stay. In Vienna, the authority in charge is the Immigration Authority - Municipal Department 35.

Further Information:

Municipal Department 35 - Information 

EU/EEA driving licences are recognized in Austria, and may be converted voluntarily at any time.
Driving licences from Non-EU/EEA states are valid only six months starting from establishment of the primary residence in Austria. If they are not in German or not divided in the categories A to E and in pink colour, they have to be amended by an international driving licence or a translation. After the deadline of six months they have to be converted.

For Vienna as primary residence the responsible authority in charge is the Motor Vehicle Department (Landespolizeidirektion Wien - Verkehrsamt).


Further information:

Validity and Conversion of Foreign Driving Licences

Conversion of Foreign Driving Licences (German)

Rules for Driving Motor Vehicles in Austria

The Dual Advice Service has been launched as a pilot project at the Technische Universität Wien. Initially, the service is open to newly appointed professors, but in future, other employee groups will be involved as well.


Further information:

Dual Career Service Vienna-Lower Austria-Upper Austria

Ambulance: 144

Fire brigade: 122

Police: 133

Emergency medical helpline service: 141
at night: 7.00 p.m. - 7.00 a.m.
at weekends: Friday 7.00 p.m. - Monday 7.00 a.m.
on public holidays: all day
lf required, the doctors will visit patients at home.

Night and weekend dental service: 512 20 78
Mon - Sun: 8.00 p.m. - 1.00 a.m.
Sat, Sun and public holidays: 9.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.

Information centre for poisoning: 406 43 43

Open surgeries (Sat, Sun and public holidays: 7.00 a.m. - 8.00 p.m.)
1010 Vienna, Börseplatz 6
1030 Vienna, Franzosengraben

Pharmacies on duty 24 hours a day: 1455
Pharmacies on Night Duty (German)

The Technische Universität Wien has appointed a representative for family-work balance issues (Vereinbarkeitsbeauftragte der TU Wien). The representative´s information page presents the measures to support university-family balance for the employers of TU Wien.

Information about German Language Schools in Vienna is provided by Campus Austria, an association of Austrian language schools.

The officially recognised examination system for German as a foreign language in Austria is the Austrian Language Diploma (Österreichisches Sprachdiplom Deutsch) with licensed examination centres all over the world. It is an international proof of proficiency in German and recognised in many countries.

The Human Resources Development Department of TU Wien has a specific offer for the non-German speaking staff.

Human Resources Development works to assist all staff of the TU Vienna to realise their full potential. Due to the international bias of TU Wien a large number of colleagues represent many different countries and mother tongues.  To support their development as well this department offers specific workshops and events especially for non-german-speaking staff.

In case you have lost or found something, you can contact:

  • The Central Lost and Found Service of the City of Vienna (Zentrale Fundservice)
    Siebenbrunnenfeldgasse 3, 1050 Wien, Hotline: +43 1 4000 8091 (in German)
  • or the Decentralised Lost and Found Offices at the Municipal District Offices (Magistratische Bezirksämter)

This applies to lost items on the Vienna Public Transport (Wiener Linien), too. For lost items on other public transports, you should first of all contact the appropriate organisation.

Small less valuable items can be deposited anonymously in the lost and found boxes which are metal containers put up near the Municipal District Offices, the Vienna City Hall, the waste collection centres of Municipal Department 48 (MA48) and near many police stations

If, however, the lost or found items concern or are similar to licence plates, driving licences, vehicle registration papers, and weapon permits (lost), or firearms and war material (found), as well as ammunition and explosives (lost and found), you should directly get in contact with the nearest police station.

Further information: 

"Have you lost or found something?"

Zentrale Fundservice

In case of illness, you contact as a general rule first a general practitioner. If necessary, you will be referred to a specialist or a hospital. Do not forget to have the e-card with you every time you visit a doctor to verify your insurance coverage.

The following institution provides names of doctors speaking a foreign language:

Vienna Medical Association 
Service Department for Foreign Patients
1010 Vienna, Weihburggasse 10-12
phone:  +43 1 513 95 95,


Further Information:

Medicals in Vienna

01 January: New Year´s Day (Neujahrstag)
06 January: Epiphany (Heilige Drei Könige)
22 April: Easter Monday (Ostermontag)
01 May: National holiday (Staatsfeiertag)
30 May: Ascension Day (Christi Himmelfahrt)
10 June: Whit Monday (Pfingstmontag)
20 June: Feast of Corpus Christi (Fronleichnam)
15 August: Assumption Day (Mariä Himmelfahrt)
26 October: National holiday (Staatsfeiertag)
01 November: All Saints´Day (Allerheiligen)
08 December: Immaculate Conception (Mariä Empfängnis)
25 December: Christmas Day (Christtag)
26 December: St. Stephen´s Day (Stephanitag)

01 January: New Year´s Day (Neujahrstag)
06 January: Epiphany (Heilige Drei Könige)
13 April: Easter Monday (Ostermontag)
01 May: National holiday (Staatsfeiertag)
21 May: Ascension Day (Christi Himmelfahrt)
01 June: Whit Monday (Pfingstmontag)
11 June: Feast of Corpus Christi (Fronleichnam)
15 August: Assumption Day (Mariä Himmelfahrt)
26 October: National holiday (Staatsfeiertag)
01 November: All Saints´Day (Allerheiligen)
08 December: Immaculate Conception (Mariä Empfängnis)
25 December: Christmas Day (Christtag)
26 December: St. Stephen´s Day (Stephanitag)

The Vienna public transport system (Wiener Linien) consists of underground, tram and bus lines. It belongs to the transport association for Austria's eastern regions (Verkehrsverbund Ost-Region VOR). The whole region is divided in eight zones, including parts of Lower Austria, the Burgenland and all of Vienna.

The city of Vienna forms one full zone ("Kernzone" or "Zone 100"). With a single ticket (EUR 2.40) you are allowed to travel one way in one zone on all public transport. You may change to different lines, but must not interrupt your journey.

Tickets are available at ticket machines at underground or tram stations, points of advance sale, tobacconists, on board the bus or tram and online.

An alternative to single tickets are passes for 24 hours, 72 hours, weekly, monthly or annual periods. The Vienna annual ticket subscription with an annual payment interval costs Euro 365. Tickets must be validated at the blue machines located at the entrance of underground stations as well as on buses and trams. Tickets bought from the bus driver are validated automatically.

Further links:

Wiener Linien - Plan my journey
Maps of underground, tram and bus lines

In Austria, radio and TV broadcasting reception equipments have to be registered. For the personal reception of radio and TV broadcasts a  licence fee of about EUR 25 per month has to be paid per private residence independently of the number of sets. This fee is not required for broadcasts received outside buildings (e.g. car radio). The payment of cable, satellite, pay TV, etc. does not discharge from this licence fee. In case of not registered radios and TVs, an administrative fine has to be paid.

Registration forms and forms for changing present radio or TV registration can be filled in electronically at the Fee Service (GIS), as well as obtained in all Raiffeisen banks, Municipal District Offices (Magistratische Bezirksämter), Stadtinformation - Stadtservice Wien and GIS.

For further information:

GIS - Gebühren Info Service

The responsible organisation for questions in respect of the recognition of academic degrees, diplomas or qualifications in Austria:

Bundesministerium für Bildung, Wissenschaft und Forschung (Federal Ministry for Education, Science and Research), Pres/10
Teinfaltstraße 8, A-1010 Wien
T +43 1 53120 5921

Vienna´s waste separation scheme allows to promote the environmental protection and the reduction of waste collection fees.
There exist separate disposals for waste paper, waste glass and normal domestic rubbish. All over the city there are additional containers for scrap metal (tins) and plastic bottles. Special battery collection boxes for old batteries can be found in supermarkets. Medicines which have passed their expiry date are taken back by pharmacies.

For further information:

Municipal Department 48 (German)

Leaflets of the Municipal Department