Horizon Europe succeeds the European Framework Programme for Research Horizon 2020 and covers the period 2021 to 2027, focusing on Europe's desire to remain or become a world leader in research and innovation.
Structure of Horizon Europe
An essential innovation is the merging of the areas that were located in Horizon 2020 under pillars two (Industrial leadership) and three (Societal Challenges) into thematic clusters in pillar two.
Further changes are planned:
- key areas for research and innovation support and their targeted impact
- European partnerships
- Areas of international cooperation
areas of international cooperation
Five mission areas have been identified, each with a dedicated mission board and assembly. They will help specify, design and implement specific missions in Horizon Europe.
- Mission area: Adaptation to climate change including societal transformation
- Mission area: Cancer
- Mission area: Climate-neutral and smart cities
- Mission area: Healthy oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters
- Mission area: Soil health and food
You can find further information here: