CH – Center for Micro and Nanostructures
Since 1993, TU Wien has had the Center for Micro and Nanostructures (CMNS) at its disposal, which chiefly comprises clean rooms and the associated infrastructure, and was once supported by special funding from the Federal Ministry. The centre is operated by the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology and is currently located on Floragasse.
The CMNS offers the necessary infrastructure for the research and development of functional microstructures and nanostructures. This includes innovative electronic or photonic building elements or sensor elements depending on the issue and content of the problem. The implementation of this type of building elements and components for basic and applied research is only possible by maintaining a sophisticated technological infrastructure.
As part of the TU Univercity 2015 project, TU Wien launched a new construction programme for the clean rooms in the CMNS. These can be found in the historical Gußhaus building as part of the association between the faculties at the Gußhausstraße site and the Institute of Solid State Electronics (on Floragasse). As a result, the structural and – most importantly – building technology requirements for the new office and laboratory building have to be implemented with the greatest respect for the listed building structures.
Both the partial demolition of the listed halls (the old Gußhaus) and the new/annexe work for the CMNS were proposed to the authorities in 2012/13. An intensive vote on the highly technical building equipment was then taken by all users.
Start of the project
Together with the Chair of the TU University Council, Veit Sorger, and Rector Sabine Seidler, the outgoing Dean of the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Information Technology, Prof. Gottfried Magerl, gave the go-ahead for the project to start on 17 December 2013.
The building was the holiday home of Ferdinand Fürst Lobkowitz and part of the 'Favorita' imperial summer residence until 1721. The 'Artillerie-Gußhaus', where cannonballs were once cast, was set up here in 1750, hence the names 'Gußhaus' and 'Gußhausviertel', which come from the German word for casting. From 1861, the building began its transformation into a 'Kunstgießerei', or art foundry, including all residential buildings and studios belonging to the famous Austrian painter of the 'ring-road era', Makart.
Today, the Gußhaus consists of a historical, listed building at its core and several annexes that were added later, housing some of the workshops of the Institute for Testing and Research (TVFA) over the past few decades.
Old vs new
The new project sees the heart of the building freed from all the subsequent annexes and the CMNS arranged around it complete with laboratory, office and utility rooms. As far as it is possible and logical to do so, this will involve a renovation of the old material as it is integrated into the new structure. Still complete with original aspects including the dome area and Westtrakt block (the vaulted room), these historical rooms, elements and motifs form an exciting contrast against the highly technical laboratories and clean rooms right beside them.
Following the archaeological safety and security measures, along with the comprehensive accompanying documentation, 2016 was dedicated to building work subject to official approval. The revolving tower crane required for this project was set up at the start of the year and the foundation work began. The comprehensive building work took place afterwards.