Taking a leave of abscence - Beurlaubung
During your leave of absence the admission to your studies remains valid, although your degree programme is not continued.
Please note: to continue studying you have to pay for the semester you take a leave of absence the students union fee incl. insurance (Euro 19,20-). You do not have to pay the tuition fee and you do not lose your student status. Therefore you are not allowed to attend courses, take examinations or hand in scientific papers (diploma theses, dissertations, seminar or bachelor papers etc.).
Please note: while you are takeing a leave of absence
- you are not entitled to the student semester ticket of the Vienna Transport Authority (Wiener Linien)
- a health insurance with a relative or the independent insurance for students is not possible
- no family allowances and no student financial aid
- Visa: MA35 does not accept all reasons for a leave of absence, so you can loose your visa as Student. Check first the requirements with MA35!
Applications for a leave of absence at TU Wien can be submitted at the Admission Office by email (email@example.com) within a copy of your student ID-card for the current semester until
- 30th September for winter semester and
- 28th February for sommer semester.
Reasons for taking a leave of absence are:
- military service or civilian Service (presentation of draft notice)
- voluntary social year (confirmation of supportive organisation)
- pragnancy (medical confirmation form)
- child care (child's/children's birth certificate and registration confirmation [Meldezettel] for you and the child/children)
- support for relatives needing constant care (medical confirmation form, proof of ralationship)
- illness which considerably impair the course of study for more than two months (medical confirmation form)
- other reasons which require a longer special Attention (ground and proof of the ground)
You can take a leave of absence for a maximum of 6 Semester per Student (not per study programme). It is not possible to apply a leave of absence for previous semesters!
You still need to pay your Student's Union (ÖH) dues, because ÖH-Membership is compulsory even for students on a leave of Absence. Your tuition fees are waived during your leave, however.
Leaving the university
If you intend to quit your degree programme at TU Wien you have to come to the Admission Office during the opening hours with your Student ID-Card (TUCard) or write an Email to firstname.lastname@example.org (Student ID-Card attached as scanned copie).
If you want to continue the same degree programme at another Austrian university, you need a proof of your deregistration or rather a certificate of transfer (Abgangsbescheinigung) from TU Wien. In this case you only have to ask for the certificate of transfer, when you come to the Admission Office to complete your deregistration.
Students who intend to quit their degree programme at TU Wien and do not want to continue their studies at another Austrian University or do not need a proof of deregistration, do not need to follow any special procedure. Just do not pay your tuition fee/students' union fee and your admission to the university will expire automatically by the end of the extended admission period.
Is it possible to resume my studies?
Yes, it is possible. Please note, that you will be readmitted to the currently valid curriculum. Exams of previous periods of studies can be recognized according to the new curriculum.
NOTE: International students have to apply for admission again and have to submit all required documents, if you interrupt your studies more than one semester. Non-EU/EEA-citizen have to submit a certificate of special entrance qualification for university studies valid for the semester you want to resume your studies at TU Wien.