Need to ‘take a break’ from your studies? - Leave of absence
Students have the option of taking a short break from study at TU Wien (max. 6 semesters in total) without having their admission to study at TU Wien revoked.
Taking a leave of absence - Beurlaubung
During your leave of absence the admission to your studies remains valid, although your degree programme is not continued.
Please note: to continue studying you have to pay for the semester you take a leave of absence the students union fee incl. insurance. You do not have to pay the tuition fee and you do not lose your student status. Therefore you are not allowed to attend courses, take examinations or hand in scientific papers (diploma theses, dissertations, seminar or bachelor papers etc.).
Please note: while you are taking a leave of absence
- you are not entitled to the student semester ticket of the Vienna Transport Authority (Wiener Linien)
- a health insurance with a relative or the independent insurance for students is not possible
- no family allowances and no student financial aid
- Visa: MA35 does not accept all reasons for a leave of absence, so you can loose your visa as Student. Check first the requirements with MA35!
Applications for a leave of absence at TU Wien can be submitted at the Admission Office by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) within a filled in form, opens an external URL in a new window and a copy of your student ID-card for the current semester until
- 30th September for winter semester and
- 28th February for summer semester.
Reasons for taking a leave of absence are:
- military service or civilian Service (presentation of draft notice)
- voluntary social year (confirmation of supportive organisation)
- pregnancy (medical confirmation form)
- child care (child's/children's birth certificate and registration confirmation [Meldezettel] for you and the child/children)
- support for relatives needing constant care (medical confirmation form, proof of relationship)
- illness which considerably impair the course of study for more than two months (medical confirmation form)
- other reasons which require a longer special Attention (ground and proof of the ground)
You can take a leave of absence for a maximum of 6 Semester per Student (not per study programme). It is not possible to apply a leave of absence for previous semesters!
You still need to pay your Student's Union (ÖH) dues, because ÖH-Membership is compulsory even for students on a leave of Absence. Your tuition fees are waived during your leave, however.
Front Office Opening Hours
NOTE! The Admission Office is closed on 26 and 27 May 2022!
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday
9.30 am to 12 am
1.30 pm to 4 pm
You can reach us by phone at the following times:
Monday to Friday, from 8 am to 12 am and from 1 pm to 4 pm
Note: For data protection reasons, no information about personal data can be given by phone.