Be our international Academic Guest.

Information for international academic visitors to TU Wien

Are you coming to TU Wien as an international academic visitor?

We recommend you to take care of legal formalities even before your arrival. These may be visa and work permit and residence questions that result from your personal situation. Aside from legal formalities, we recommend informing yourself about the housing situation in Vienna, required insurance or necessary language skills.

On these pages we give you an initial overview of the statutory provisions regarding your stay, key infrastructure in Vienna, life and culture in Austria, and funding options.

Persons who do not have Austrian citizenship will require an entry permit and a residence permit to enter and stay in Austria.

Stays of up to 6 months
If your research residence in Austria amounts to no more than six months, then to enter and stay in Austria you will require either
a Travel Visa C with entitlement to work (‘Visa C – employment’): for stays amounting in total to 90 days within a 180-day period, during which it is possible to stay anywhere in the Schengen region. The right to work, however, may be exercised only in Austria (even if you are allowed to enter the country without a visa).


a Residence Visa D with entitlement to work (‘Visa D – employment’): for stays of between 91 days and a maximum of 6 months in Austria; this entitles you to travel for up to 90 days during the period of validity to other Schengen states. The right to work, however, may be exercised only in Austria.
A personal application for the visa must be made to the Austrian diplomatic mission (embassy, consulate-general) responsible before entering Austria.

Please note:
A visa (Travel Visa C or Residence Visa D) cannot be extended in Austria.

Stays of more than 6 months
For paid employment lasting longer than six months, a residence permit is required.

For academic work, the following residence permits are relevant:

  • Residence permit – researcher (if you have a hosting agreement with TU Wien)
  • Residence permit – special cases of paid employment (without a hosting agreement)
  • "Red-White-Red" Card (for those intending to settle permanently)


The question of whether you are allowed to work in Austria depends on your nationality, the nature of the work and – for nationals of third countries – the type of residence permit.

Who needs what?
No work permit: Nationals of EU states (Belgium, Bulgaria, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, the United Kingdom, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Sweden, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, the Czech Republic, Hungary, Cyprus) and EEA States (Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein):

No work permit: Swiss nationals

Croatian nationals: Work permit (transitional arrangements until 2020) – except for work in academic teaching and research

Nationals of all other states (‘third countries’):
Work permit – except for work in academic teaching and research



is a service and jobs portal for researchers. It is part of the Europe-wide initiative ‘EURAXESS – Researchers in Motion’. Its purpose is to promote mobility and career development for researchers. For more information at TU Wien please contact our service provider  "European and  International Research Support".

‘EURAXESS Jobs’ is a user-friendly portal for advertising posts and recruiting staff among researchers. This database of jobs allows companies, universities and research organisations to advertise vacancies across Europe. The service is provided free of charge by the European Commission. 

‘EURAXESS – Researchers in Motion’ covers four initiatives:  

EURAXESS Jobs, a free, Europe-wide database of jobs with constantly updated job offers, scholarships and funding for researchers;

EURAXESS Services, which supports researchers and their families in organising a stay in another country;

EURAXESS Rights (European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for the appointment of researchers) deals with the rights and obligations of researchers and their employers;

EURAXESS Links is a network for European researchers outside of Europe (in the US, Japan and China).

Information for newly appointed professors and professors currently in the appointment process and for postdocs who are new to TU Wien Please contact  Dual Career Advice at TU Wien.

Informationen on Entry and Residence

Information on entry and residence you can find in the "Database Entry and Residence for Students and Researchers" at the  central service centre for European and international mobility and cooperation programmes in the fields of education, science and research (OeAD-GmbH). This database can help you to find the right visa or residence title.

Vienna for Incoming Scientists

Additional information on entering and staying in Austria you can find at the website of our service provider "European and International Research Support. here.


Questions or Suggestions?

Mag. Rosmarie Nigg
International Office
Internationalisation und Support
T +43 1 58801 41555