Funding for PhD students participating in conferences
TU Wien supports the participation of PhD students (“Early Stage Researchers”) in international conferences. Young researchers should be given the chance to present their scientific work on the international stage, and to gain international contacts for their later academic careers.
GUIDELINES for the provision of a grant from “Funds for PhD students participating in conferences”
1. Eligible persons
Students in the dissertation-phase (“Early Stage Researchers”), whose home university is TU Wien:
- PhD students who are not employed by TU Wien;
- PhD students who are employed by TU Wien (i.e. in Doctoral Schools, University Assistants, Project Assistants).
Visiting students are not eligible for funding.
2. Eligible activities
The grant can be used for participation in international scientific conferences, at which an own contribution (e.g. poster, paper etc.) is to be presented.
Applications must be submitted through TISS Mobility Services, opens an external URL in a new window (tab “Education”). Applications have always to be submitted in advance. You cannot apply for funding retrospectively. Only one conference can be applied for in each application round.
- You can only apply if you are logged in to TISS.
- Software requirements: When applying in TISS, please make sure that you are using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome. Other browsers do not usually support data uploads in the Mobility Service.
4. Required supporting documents
- Justification of participation with reference to the research work,
- Justified endorsement from the dissertation supervisor,
- Invitation to the conference and proof of acceptance of your contribution (can be submitted later in justified cases),
- Proof of payment of the conference fee (in justified cases, this may be provided later).
5. Application deadlines
15 January, 15 March, 15 June, 15 October
6. Selection of candidates
Ranking and pre-selection by faculty representatives. Final selection by the rectorate.
7. Reimbursement of costs
√ Travel allowance (Europe: € 250; non-European countries-1(1) € 580; non-European countries-2(2) € 870)
√ Accommodation allowance (up to max. 10 days: € 50 per day)
√ Conference fee (according to the invoice)
In the case of project assistants, co-financing from project funds (min. 30%) is mandatory.
8. Payment modalities
After the submission of a Declaration of Acceptance ("Annahmeerklärung") and receipt of all required documents (see Point 4.), the approved amount is transferred in advance as a grant.
9. After your return
The following documentation must be submitted to the International Office within 3 months from your return, otherwise the grant will have to be repaid:
- Confirmation of the participation and presented contribution,
- Short report.
Contact in the International Office
Mag. Diana TSENOVA
Gusshausstrasse 28, 1040 Wien
Tel.: +43 1 58801 41557
(1) North America, Russia, Middle East, Africa
(2) South America, South-East Asia, New Zealand, Australia
Service Unit of International Relations and Mobility Programmes
Gusshausstrasse 28, 1st floor
OPENING HOURS for students
9:30-11:30 and 13:30-16:30
9:30-11:30 and 13:30-16:30
ATTENTION! Due to the current situation (coronavirus), the personal counselling in the International Office has been restricted. Please send us your questions by email or give us a call. Personal counselling only by appointment.