Search in CatalogPlus
TU Wien publication fund
Since 2015, there has been a publication fund at TU Wien for funding gold open access. Submit your application directly using our web form. We provide funding for articles on a "first come, first served" basis.
- The submitting/corresponding author is a member of TU Wien and is responsible for payment of the publication fee. If there are several corresponding authors, the funding application must be made by the submitting author.
- The article appears in an open access journal listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), that applies rigorous quality control procedures (peer review) recognised by the respective faculty. The article is freely accessible as soon as it is published. Paying article processing charges for articles in subscription journals (hybrid open access) is not supported. Exception: see TU Wien Bibliothek publishing agreements with open access components
- Publication costs are not already covered by external funds or funded projects (e.g. FWF, ERC).
- The publication fee for the article does not exceed EUR 2000. Higher costs can be assumed in individual cases.
- Publication is subject to an open licence e.g. in the form of a Creative Commons licence. The journal must apply open licences and display them correctly.
- Financing by TU Wien Bibliothek must be mentioned in the acknowledgements. We would recommend the following wording: "The authors acknowledge TU Wien Bibliothek for financial support through its Open Access Funding Programme."
In individual cases, TU Wien Bibliothek reserves the right to request the submitted manuscript for review purposes.
The application should be made as early as possible in the publication process; we would recommend before submission. The latest opportunity is at the time of invoicing. There is no possibility of any refund for invoices already paid. All articles funded by TU Wien Bibliothek are also published in reposiTUm.
Editing service for TU Wien doctoral students
In addition to funding gold open access publications, TU Wien Bibliothek supports TU Wien doctoral students by funding English-language editing services for your journal articles or conference papers. For details on our editing services see our page on manuscripts and proofreading.
Funding by external research funding agencies
The following is an overview of the open access provisions stipulated by the relevant funding agencies. Please consider the funding options for your publications at an early stage, if possible at the stage of the project proposal.
Open access is required; all peer reviewed (refereed) publications must be uploaded at the time of publication for long-term archiving in repositories. Your FWF project may be subject to other directives, depending on the date the funding is granted. Please check your project agreement on this point.
In all FWF programmes, costs for refereed journal articles and similar formats (including contributions to proceedings and collected volumes) can be requested up to three years after completion of the project. Further information on funding by the FWF, opens an external URL in a new window.
It is likely that the FWF will modify its policy in terms of the provisions of Plan S by the end of 2020. The new Plan S-compliant policy will then apply for all peer reviewed (refereed) publications arising from projects newly approved by the FWF from 2021. From 2024, this should also include other publication formats, such as monographs and complete collected volumes.
Open access is required; publication costs must be covered from the planned project budget.
Open access is required; all publications must be uploaded for archiving in a repository. Publication costs may be reimbursed during the term of the project, as part of the overall project budget.
Project-dependent. Please check your project agreement on this point.
The costs of open access publications are eligible if they are incurred during the term of the project. Costs incurred after completion of the project cannot be financed from the project budget.
Open access is supported; publication costs must be taken into account in the application. For academic articles appearing in quality-assured journals and for book publications, costs can be paid from the project budget as part of current WWTF projects. For publications appearing after completion of the project, a maximum of EUR 5000 can be reserved from the project budget for a maximum of two years.