TU Wien publication fund
Since 2015, there has been a publication fund at TU Wien for funding gold open access. Submit your application directly using our web form. We provide funding for articles on a "first come, first served" basis.
- The submitting/corresponding author is a member of TU Wien and is responsible for payment of the publication fee. If there are several corresponding authors, the TU Wien corresponding author has to be the submitting author.
- The article appears in an open access journal listed in the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ), that applies rigorous quality control procedures (peer review) recognised by the respective faculty. The article is freely accessible as soon as it is published. Paying article processing charges for articles in subscription journals (hybrid open access) is not supported. Exception: see TU Wien Bibliothek publishing agreements with open access components
- Publication costs are not already covered by external funds or funded projects (e.g. FWF, ERC).
- The publication fee for the article does not exceed EUR 2000. Higher costs can be assumed in individual cases.
- Publication is subject to an open licence e.g. in the form of a Creative Commons licence. The journal must apply open licences and display them correctly.
- Financing by TU Wien Bibliothek must be mentioned in the acknowledgements. We would recommend the following wording: "The authors acknowledge TU Wien Bibliothek for financial support through its Open Access Funding Programme."
In individual cases, TU Wien Bibliothek reserves the right to request the submitted manuscript for review purposes.
The application should be made as early as possible in the publication process; we would recommend before submission. The latest opportunity is at the time of invoicing. There is no possibility of any refund for invoices already paid. All articles funded by TU Wien Bibliothek are also published in reposiTUm, opens an external URL in a new window.
Editing service for TU Wien doctoral students
In addition to funding gold open access publications, TU Wien Bibliothek supports TU Wien doctoral students by funding English-language editing services for your journal articles or conference papers. For details on our editing services see our page on manuscripts and proofreading.
Funding by external research funding agencies
The following is an overview of the open access provisions stipulated by the relevant funding agencies. Please consider the funding options for your publications at an early stage, if possible at the stage of the project proposal.
Open access is required; all peer reviewed (refereed) publications must be uploaded at the time of publication for long-term archiving in repositories. Your FWF project may be subject to other directives, depending on the date the funding was granted. Please check your project agreement on this point.
In all FWF programmes, costs for refereed journal articles and similar formats (including contributions to proceedings and collected volumes) can be requested up to three years after completion of the project. Further information on funding by FWF, opens an external URL in a new window.
FWF has changed its open access policy in accordance with Plan S. The new requirements apply to all peer-reviewed publications arising from FWF projects approved after 31 December 2020. These publications must be made available open access at the time of publication. Three open access publication options are available as described on FWF's pages on open access policy, opens an external URL in a new window.
The acknowledgement has also been reformulated. The changes apply to all publications in journals, including open access journals. The following provision must be included in the manuscript upon submission:
"This research was funded in whole, or in part, by the Austrian Science Fund (FWF) [Grant number]. For the purpose of open access, the author has applied a CC BY public copyright licence to any Author Accepted Manuscript version arising from this submission."
For publications in the German language, the acknowledgement text is: "Diese Forschung wurde gänzlich oder teilweise durch den Wissenschaftsfonds (FWF) finanziert [Projektnummer]. Zum Zweck des freien Zugangs hat der_die Autor_in für jedwede akzeptierte Manuskriptversion, die sich aus dieser Einreichung ergibt, eine "Creative Commons Attribution CC BY"-Lizenz vergeben."
From 2024, the open access requirement will also apply to other publication formats, such as monographs and complete collected volumes.
Open access is required; publication costs must be covered from the planned project budget.
Open access is required; all publications must be uploaded for archiving in a repository. Publication costs may be reimbursed during the term of the project, as part of the overall project budget.
Project-dependent. Please check your project agreement on this point.
The costs of open access publications are eligible if they are incurred during the term of the project. Costs incurred after completion of the project cannot be financed from the project budget.
Open access is supported; publication costs must be taken into account in the application. For academic articles appearing in quality-assured journals and for book publications, costs can be paid from the project budget as part of current WWTF projects. For publications appearing after completion of the project, a maximum of EUR 5000 can be reserved from the project budget for a maximum of two years.