TU Wien Bibliothek's normal opening hours apply, except for closing days at the Main Library as listed below:
Mon - Fri 08:00 - 22:00
Sat | Sun 10:00 - 17:00
Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library
Mon - Fri 09:00 - 19:00
Learning spaces in the library
All study desks are available for individual study, and group study rooms can be booked.
COVID-19 rules for studying in the library
- Booking group study rooms is possible at present.
- "Bring your own device": Please bring your own laptop or other device if possible. TU Wien students can use the PC workstations on the first floor of the Main Library.
- You may only take personal learning materials, laptops, writing equipment, books and beverages in sealable containers into the library. All other belongings must be left in the lockers.
Loans and returns
Loans and returns are possible at the self-issue terminals during library opening hours. Please return your borrowed items on time or renew the loans in your library account, opens an external URL in a new window.
- Book or other media from the closed stacks that you want to borrow must be requested on CatalogPlus. These requested items will be placed on the Requested Books shelf on the ground floor at hourly intervals between 09:00 and 18:00.
- Works from the stacks that are not loanable can be requested on CatalogPlus or at the circulation desks on the ground floor.
- TU Wien students have the additional option of choosing postal delivery when requesting media that are loanable and that are not available as e-resources. Note that fees are payable for this service (Scale of fees directive).
Borrowed media can be returned at the library during opening hours using the self-issue terminals.
Returning borrowed media by post is also possible, at your own risk. The return date for any media sent to the library by post will be the date the return is booked in the library software. Be sure to consider the time needed for postal delivery, so that you do not become liable for any fines. For details see §8 of our Library Rules, opens an external URL in a new window document.
During library opening hours, you have access to the pay station on the ground floor if you need to pay any fines.
We are issuing new library cards to students of other universities and school pupils. If you need a library card, start by filling in our online registration, opens an external URL in a new window form.
Note that you need to bring the required documents with you.
Online access to electronic media
The library has licensed over 9000 e-journals and around 140,000 e-books for our users. TU Wien students and staff can access our e-books and e-journals from your homes using VPN. Note that for access to electronic full texts, you need to select "2_All tunnelled" during VPN login! If you have any problems with access to our electronic resources, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library patrons without TU Wien affiliation can read electronic media on the catalogue PCs (kiosk devices) in the Main Library.