>> view the real-time graph showing current availability of study desks in the Main Library, opens an external URL in a new window
Main Library closed on 27 July 2021
Due to work on the power supply, the Main Library is closed on Tuesday, 27 July 2021. Loans with a due date on 27 July will be extended automatically by one day.
Opening hours may have to be changed at short notice if necessitated by COVID-19 developments. Always check the current opening hours on our homepage.
Mon - Fri 08:00 - 19:00
Sat, Sun Closed
Chemistry and Mechanical Engineering Library
Mon - Fri 09:00 - 15:00
Sat, Sun Closed
Summer opening hours 02 - 27 August 2021:
Mon - Fri 09:00 - 13:00
Learning spaces in the library: registration and 3-G proof of status required
A reduced number of study desks are available for individual study. To use the study desks, you need to register at the circulation desk with your TUcard or library card. Please provide your valid proof of 3-G status at registration. You will then be assigned a study desk and may use only this desk. We recommend using a mouth and nose protection in the learning spaces.
Data protection information:
Registering library users enables fast identification, isolation and tracing of contact persons in case of COVID-19 infections, in order to break infection chains. We record the day of presence, the study desk assigned, and the TUcard or library card number. The central contact persons management at TU Wien will have access to these data in the event of a COVID-19 case.
COVID-19 rules for studying in the library
- Disinfect your hands on entering the library.
- For access to the open access areas and study desks, you need to register at the circulation desk with your TUcard or library card.
- A valid proof of 3-G status is required for registration.
- Wearing a mouth and nose protection in all public areas (locker rooms, circulation desks, stairwells, toilets) is mandatory. In the open access areas and at the study desks, we recommend wearing a mouth and nose protection.
- Disinfect your study desk with the surface disinfectant provided by the library.
- Keep a minimum distance of 2 metres to other persons. You may only use the study desk that was assigned to you at registration.
- Group study is not permitted.
- "Bring your own device": only a small number of catalogue terminals may be used. The PC workstations on the first floor are closed. Please bring your own laptop or other device if possible.
- Book scanner: at the moment, one book scanner in the entrance area may be used. Please disinfect your hands before using the book scanner.
- You may only take personal learning materials, laptops, writing equipment, books and beverages in sealable containers into the library. All other belongings must be left in the lockers.
Loans and returns
Loans and returns are possible at the self-issue terminals during library opening hours. Please return your borrowed items on time or renew the loans in your library account, opens an external URL in a new window.
- Book or other media from the closed stacks that you want to borrow must be requested on CatalogPlus. These requested items will be placed on the Requested Books shelf on the ground floor at hourly intervals between 09:00 and 15:00. Media in the open access shelves: For access to the open access areas, register at the circulation desk with your TUcard or library card and a valid proof of 3-G status.
- Works from the stacks that are not loanable can now be requested again on CatalogPlus or at the circulation desks on the ground floor.
- TU Wien students have the additional option of choosing postal delivery when requesting media that are loanable and that are not available as e-resources. Note that fees are payable for this service (Scale of fees document).
Borrowed media can be returned at the library during opening hours using the self-issue terminals.
Returning borrowed media by post is also possible, at your own risk. The return date for any media sent to the library by post will be the date the return is booked in the library software. Be sure to consider the time needed for postal delivery, so that you do not become liable for any fines. For details see §8 of our Library Rules, opens an external URL in a new window document.
During library opening hours, you have access to the pay station on the ground floor if you need to pay any fines.
We are issuing new library cards to students of other universities and school pupils. If you need a library card, start by filling in our online registration, opens an external URL in a new window form.
Note that you need to bring the required documents with you.
Online access to electronic media
The library has licensed over 9000 e-journals and around 140,000 e-books for our users. TU Wien students and staff can access our e-books and e-journals from your homes using VPN. Note that for access to electronic full texts, you need to select "2_All tunnelled" during VPN login! If you have any problems with access to our electronic resources, do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Library patrons without TU Wien affiliation can read electronic media on the catalogue PCs (kiosk devices) on the ground floor of the Main Library.