Free Europe Scholarships for Ukrainian Refugees
75 years after the end of the Second World War, we are witnessing a brutal war of aggression by Russia in Europe. The whole Western world is standing behind Ukraine to defend our values of democracy, the rule of law, and freedom in Ukraine by all means. Freedom of information and thought, the transparent process of continuous development of knowledge based on facts and empiric evidence are core virtues of universities, but have even more significance in these times.
In that spirit, the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education admires and supports the struggle for freedom in Eastern Europe, following the maxim of Nelson Mandela: "Education is the most powerful weapon you can use to change the world". Education is one of the most important & sustainable investments we can make, on an individual, as well as on a collective level and an essential component in creating and maintaining peace.
Countless people have had to flee, give up the life they built for themselves and start anew in a foreign land. This dramatic change and the drastic psychological stress are unimaginable for many of us. The TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education wants to help refugees, so they can find a way back to a feeling of normality.
For the continuing education branch of the TU Wien, education is not only the best weapon against autocracy and censorship, but also the optimal opportunity to build a new existence far from home. People need a purpose and a network. Therefore, the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education awards a full scholarship to Ukrainian citizens with valid refugee status in the winter semester 2022/2023 in the following postgraduate courses:
- Renewable Energy Systems, opens in new window (MSc) in English.
- Environmental Technology & International Affairs, opens in new window (MSc) in English language
- Sustainable Construction, opens in new window (MEng) in German language
- Innovation, Digitalization & Entrepreneurship, opens in new window (EMBA) in English language
- Strategic Management & Technology, opens in new window (EMBA) in English language
- General Management, opens in new window (EMBA) in German language
- Real Estate Management & Valuation, opens in new window (MSc) in German language
- Real Estate Management & Property Management, opens in new window (certificate course) in German language
With these full scholarships, the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education would like to give people affected by this horrendous war a tool to build a new life in Austria. It is meant to be a first step towards normalcy and to give focus and support in an uncertain world. The students have the chance to become part of the TU Wien community, find a good job faster and thus get back to their "normal" everyday life.
Eligible for a full scholarship* for a Master/EMBA course at the TU Wien Academy for Continuing Education are
- Ukrainian citizens who are in possession of an Austrian ID card for displaced persons (= blue card) and meet the admission requirements of the respective program.
- Applicants must have completed a degree suitable for the course or a comparable academic achievement.
- Fluency in English or German (depends on the language of the course) is required.
- The applicant must meet the social and content-related requirements of the program and also provide evidence of sufficient relevant professional experience in the field of the chosen program.
In addition to the basic requirements, applicants are asked to send a letter of motivation of 2 pages (max. 5000 characters incl. spaces) to the team responsible for the program, to fill in the application form and to provide the required proof of eligibility.
In the letter of application, previous successes should be mentioned and the positive effect that the study program would have on personal life as well as professional development should be presented. Information on the specific requirements as well as the necessary documents can be found directly on the program pages (www.tuwien.ac.at/ace).
*With the Free Europe full scholarship, the entire cost of the course is covered. However, the costs for accommodation, travel or travel expenses as well as costs for additional events have to be paid privately. Please contact the respective program team directly regarding the costs or possible travel allowances.
The application deadline is 31.7.2022. There is no right to appeal; existing program participants are excluded from applying; the winner will be informed in the course of the admission procedure.